What type of church should I be part of?

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
RGeeB
Established Member
Christian: No

What type of church should I be part of?

Post by RGeeB »

If I want to join a church, how do I know its right for me and I'm right for it? I used to have one simple condition - they acknowledge that Jesus is Lord. Lately, there is a trend away from associating with a local Christian community. So, I feel the incompatibility issues are more complicated.
Maranatha!
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: What type of church should I be part of?

Post by BavarianWheels »

RGeeB wrote:If I want to join a church, how do I know its right for me and I'm right for it? I used to have one simple condition - they acknowledge that Jesus is Lord. Lately, there is a trend away from associating with a local Christian community. So, I feel the incompatibility issues are more complicated.
I guess you just have to pick one and attend for a while and see the "fruit"...judge by fruit. No other method of knowing as Christ himself says that some will even say, "we did all these things in your name..." (paraphrase of my own)
RGeeB
Established Member

Post by RGeeB »

Thanks. Another issue I personally have faced is finding my place in any church, due to my introverted nature. I seldom am joyfully involved in Christian community activities. I don't know if it is selfish or do I just accept the fact that I have known more about Christianity through books rather than sermons.
Maranatha!
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

My thought are the best church is the one that lets you think for yourself.
We all have so much to learn, we can't learn if the church tells us what to believe and we take their word for it. I think we must investergate every teaching, to see that it is from the word of god. If it isn't then that is not the church for us and we move on and find one that does.
I have only been to my new church twice, but it does not seem like a sermon at all, it's like the guy up the front is including each of us in a discussion.
my first week it was all about building a happy healthy family with god.
It touched me how personal this discussion/sermon seemed to be.
last week it was how to learn to be a disciple, and how being a Christian is not just speaking the word of god, it is taking it into ones heart and living the word of god. So again this seemed like a very personal topic.
RGeeB
Established Member

Post by RGeeB »

I guess the difference between new testament days and ours for the church is that we have access to all information instantly. Our source of knowledge extends beyond teaching from the pulpit. We don't need letters from Paul because we are more enlightened (or are capable of knowing) what heresy is. We are more independent minded from other people, especially in western churches. With that in mind can teachers and leaders in churches be held accountable for the spiritual health of the congregation?

I have been a member of my local church for the past three years. I don't agree with many of their doctrines, but it is the closest I can find to a Bible based fellowship. I feel that differences in end time theology or even rules on tithing should not cause a divisional issue. I have found it useful to focus on the similarities like our Saviour.

As a note, I'm a bit sceptical about discussion type sermons. I think a person with the gift and authority to teach must be given his space. We rely on the Holy Spirit enabling a person to communicate truth rather than having a democratic consensus. Paul's pastoral epistles have clear guidelines on how to appoint such leaders. Unfortunately, like it was mentioned in the baptism thread, you just don't know what your going to get in a church these days.
Maranatha!
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

I think I meant discussion as when he speaks everyone feels they are apart of what he is saying. I probably meant it as when he is talking he is talking to us not at us. Talking at people is a wide spread problem that teachers and churches seem to have. By talking to us instead of at us he includes us in what he is talking about. Understand what I mean ?
RGeeB
Established Member

Post by RGeeB »

Yeah, I get your point. Another observation - church members tend to follow more what the leaders do than what they say. (?)
Maranatha!
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Another point, new christians are like children, they have special needs :P
church members tend to follow more what the leaders do than what they say.
precisely why a church leader need to be a good example of a servant of God.