Holy Spirit Baptism and Tongues

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.

I have spoken in tongues

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 58

Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Holy Spirit Baptism and Tongues

Post by Silvertusk »

Nice post Melanie - and welcome to the board.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Your post resonates with me Mel, thank you for posting.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Welcome here. And i also am the type who likes silence and not yelling.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Thankyou for your warm welcome's.
I was concerned about posting it as I thought it may offend and even though I am passionate about speaking the God inspired truth it is never my intention to offend anyone but sometimes when we speak the truth this outcome is inevitable but never an outcome I desire, so I am pleasantly surprised and grateful for your feedback.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

melanie wrote:Thankyou for your warm welcome's.
I was concerned about posting it as I thought it may offend and even though I am passionate about speaking the God inspired truth it is never my intention to offend anyone but sometimes when we speak the truth this outcome is inevitable but never an outcome I desire, so I am pleasantly surprised and grateful for your feedback.
I do not think anyone would be offend by what you stated concerning your experience because it mirrors many others experiences as well too. What you said provides a great example of misusing the grace of God for showmanship and shake down for funds. Hype sells. Just know not to toss out the baby with the bath water. In fact 1 Co 13:1,2,3 speaks of this very thing and the reason for it and have a nice day...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

BW, your post was like:

td, td, tdd, tdd, td, td and have a nice day...

:mrgreen:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Haha c'mon B.W Perhaps the millions of Pentecostals may be offended or even perhaps the people who posted on here who were stating their support of speaking in tongues or the 37% of people who took the poll and have spoken in tongues indicating a very strong possibility they are Pentecostal?? I was very aware of this and sincerely did not want to offend. Your a swell kinda guy, I can tell we are going to get along great, I will replace my warmth with your Ice should make a nice balance. And I had a wonderful day thankyou, I am a very positive person, which in turn creates positive experiences.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

1over137 wrote:BW, your post was like:

td, td, tdd, tdd, td, td and have a nice day...

:mrgreen:
:lol:

-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

I grew up in a Pentecostal Charismatic church. You can always tell what type of church you're in by looking under the seats in the front row. If there's a stack of sheets next to the tissues, then rest assured- you are in a tongues speaking, spirit slaying church. I have recently addressed these topics in the latest episode of my podcast.

I no longer practice these things, but only did when I was a kid because I felt less holy if I didn't have tongues and slain experiences. It's been a really painful thing to admit, but it's true. I never spoke in tongues, but was coached to sort of "fake it til you make it" and then told that I was "filled with the Holy Spirit" when I was clearly just better at it because I'd been practicing. Folks in my church even went so far as to say that if you weren't "spirit filled", you weren't a "mature" Christian. Years later it donned on me that we are all "spirit filled" when we fall before God and repent, then accept His atonement through faith. No tongues needed.

I'm glad that I didn't lose my faith after all those years in the Charismatic movement, and I think God really used some things in it to help me, but it has caused a lot of damage I think inside of me. For instance, because of my upbringing, it's really hard for me to not not base my faith on how I feel. It was always about having an experience and "feeling" God before. While I think there are times when we probably do "feel" something, I'm so used to having to "feel" God that I look for it and am disappointed when I don't find it. I know in my mind that this isn't the right way to be, but it's a really hard habit to break. (It's taking me years)

Anyway, I'm trying more and more to be biblically sound. I've been clashing with relatives on charismatic doctrine recently and can usually "win" a debate with them using the Bible, but it's no use. Years of tradition have calloused their reason and I think that, because they've been doing it so long, it would be embarrassing to admit that JUST MAYBE some of these experiences were works of the flesh and not God.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Rob wrote:I grew up in a Pentecostal Charismatic church. You can always tell what type of church you're in by looking under the seats in the front row. If there's a stack of sheets next to the tissues, then rest assured- you are in a tongues speaking, spirit slaying church. I have recently addressed these topics in the latest episode of my podcast.

I no longer practice these things, but only did when I was a kid because I felt less holy if I didn't have tongues and slain experiences. It's been a really painful thing to admit, but it's true. I never spoke in tongues, but was coached to sort of "fake it til you make it" and then told that I was "filled with the Holy Spirit" when I was clearly just better at it because I'd been practicing. Folks in my church even went so far as to say that if you weren't "spirit filled", you weren't a "mature" Christian. Years later it donned on me that we are all "spirit filled" when we fall before God and repent, then accept His atonement through faith. No tongues needed.

I'm glad that I didn't lose my faith after all those years in the Charismatic movement, and I think God really used some things in it to help me, but it has caused a lot of damage I think inside of me. For instance, because of my upbringing, it's really hard for me to not not base my faith on how I feel. It was always about having an experience and "feeling" God before. While I think there are times when we probably do "feel" something, I'm so used to having to "feel" God that I look for it and am disappointed when I don't find it. I know in my mind that this isn't the right way to be, but it's a really hard habit to break. (It's taking me years)

Anyway, I'm trying more and more to be biblically sound. I've been clashing with relatives on charismatic doctrine recently and can usually "win" a debate with them using the Bible, but it's no use. Years of tradition have calloused their reason and I think that, because they've been doing it so long, it would be embarrassing to admit that JUST MAYBE some of these experiences were works of the flesh and not God.
Great post Rob. :clap:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit and tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit however I believe the gifts are very rarely used properly in the church there is only one church I ever attended where I felt they were used properly but it would be better to not use them until they are used properly but I don't see how a person can believe the bible and reject the gifts of the Holy Spirit.I certainly do not believe they died out when the apostles died.I still prefer the Pentecostal church though over others because I like the liveliness myself but I actually think we need alittle of what all true Christian denominations teach and so I'm not like someone who is closed off to other denominations as long as they are biblical.I see strengths and weaknesses in them all.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Rob wrote:I grew up in a Pentecostal Charismatic church. You can always tell what type of church you're in by looking under the seats in the front row. If there's a stack of sheets next to the tissues, then rest assured- you are in a tongues speaking, spirit slaying church. I have recently addressed these topics in the latest episode of my podcast.

When one looks into the history of the Amercia style church from 1900 thru till the 19980's. You will discover how around the 1940-1950 era, the healing revivalist brought showmanship pride into the church and those healing times ended. After that, 1960-1970's you have the Word of Faith movement come in with its bible magic lamp approach with a jesus genie to do thy bidding. Each of these influenced and corrupted the charismatic and Pentecostal movements.

Much of what Rob and others wrote expresses this. It is a form of pride that crept into the church cemented to a desire to control outcomes along with a hefty unbalanced human need for attention which polluted and hinders what God wants to do. We all have a need to watch that in ourselves and not toss out the baby with the bath water.
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

The love doth never fail; and whether there be prophecies, they shall become useless; whether tongues, they shall cease; whether knowledge, it shall become useless;
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

zacchaeus wrote:The love doth never fail; and whether there be prophecies, they shall become useless; whether tongues, they shall cease; whether knowledge, it shall become useless;
WE still need to talk and our tongues to form words and yes, we still have need of knowledge so guess they have not ceased...
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

for in part we know, and in part we prophecy; 10and when that which is perfect may come, then that which [is] in part shall become useless.