Is the church age over?

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Is the church age over?

Post by FFC »

"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

Was that from his book 1994 or 2011? :oops:

Does He still take the Lord's Supper "til He comes"?
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
FFC

Post by FFC »

puritan lad wrote:Was that from his book 1994 or 2011? :oops:
From what I can ascertain "1994" is mainly about his prediction of the second coming of Christ, which because of some faulty calculations did not occur.

This new message of enlightenment and illumination is from a pamplet he wrote called “Has the Era of the Church Age Come to an End?” as well as a 13 part series that he presented on his Radio program in 2001... based heavily on Hebrews 11 and Rev 11:7

puritan lad wrote:Does He still take the Lord's Supper "til He comes"?
Apparently not.
Third, the ordinances have been done away with. Camping believes baptism and the Lord's Supper were “ceremonial laws” that were given to the church alone. Since the church is gone, so are the ordinances. There is to be no more baptism and celebration of the Lord's Supper. Camping says, amazingly, the “postchurch believer” can read about the ordinances and receive a spiritual benefit by doing so.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Is the church age over?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

FFC wrote:Harold Camping say so.

http://www.equip.org/free/DC989.htm
Didn't we stone him already for being a false prophet? :wink:
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
FFC

Re: Is the church age over?

Post by FFC »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
FFC wrote:Harold Camping say so.

http://www.equip.org/free/DC989.htm
Didn't we stone him already for being a false prophet? :wink:
One would think he was stoned listening to him. :shock: :lol:

puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

FFC wrote:
From what I can ascertain "1994" is mainly about his prediction of the second coming of Christ, which because of some faulty calculations did not occur.

This new message of enlightenment and illumination is from a pamplet he wrote called “Has the Era of the Church Age Come to an End?” as well as a 13 part series that he presented on his Radio program in 2001... based heavily on Hebrews 11 and Rev 11:7

Apparently not.
Third, the ordinances have been done away with. Camping believes baptism and the Lord's Supper were “ceremonial laws” that were given to the church alone. Since the church is gone, so are the ordinances. There is to be no more baptism and celebration of the Lord's Supper. Camping says, amazingly, the “postchurch believer” can read about the ordinances and receive a spiritual benefit by doing so.
Wow! I knew Camping was a nutcase, but I seriously have to doubt his faith at this point. I guess Christ is no longer ruling or reigning, and since His enemies haven't yet been defeated, Christ must have been.

Out of curiousity, How does He define the "church", since he uses the term "postchurch believer". What is that?
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
FFC

Post by FFC »

puritan lad wrote:
FFC wrote:

Apparently not.
Wow! I knew Camping was a nutcase, but I seriously have to doubt his faith at this point. I guess Christ is no longer ruling or reigning, and since His enemies haven't yet been defeated, Christ must have been.

Out of curiousity, How does He define the "church", since he uses the term "postchurch believer". What is that?
Check this out.
His teachings are specifically directed against conservative, evangelical, Reformed churches.

At some point in time, God brought judgment upon the church and destroyed it.2 Since that day, the church has been an “empty shell.” What does it mean that God has destroyed the church? Camping lists a number of results.

First, the gospel is no longer applied within the church, and the Holy Spirit is no longer active in the church. You can preach the gospel in the church all you want, but the Holy Spirit is not there; hence, there is no salvation taking place in the church. Anyone who is saved is saved “outside” the church (a phrase Camping repeats over and over again). When pressed, Camping has admitted that those who have been “converted” since the end of the church age within formal churches only look like they are saved — they are actually still unsaved. God is working entirely separate from the church today.

Second, there are no more elders or deacons. The church no longer has divine authority. Those who act as if they have this authority do so without divine warrant. There is no more church discipline nor any reason to fear such discipline should one of Camping's followers encounter it for promoting his teachings.

PL, I'm wondering how God is working outside of the "church", which according to him doesn't exist anymore except in a hollow form. It almost sounds like a pre trib's tribulaton without the tribulation. :lol: