Tithing

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Tithing

Post by FFC »

spirit1st wrote:Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
2Th 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfill all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:

Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Rom 4:14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:
Rom 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.
Rom 4:16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
Tit 3:9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

Rom 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbor: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
I agree, spirit1st.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Luk 20:25 And he said unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's and unto God the things which be God's.

Not to be legalistic, but I tend to think that giving 10% to your local church is good sound doctrine. In light of the first great commandment it's interesting to note that it's estimated that we only use 10% of our brains capacity.

Food for thought. :)
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

So if we tithe our brain power to God we're only giving back what He intended to keep in the 1st place? In other words, we have no brain power! :shock: :lol:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

jenwat3 wrote:So if we tithe our brain power to God we're only giving back what He intended to keep in the 1st place? In other words, we have no brain power! :shock: :lol:
:D
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

IRQ Conflict wrote:Luk 20:25 And he said unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's and unto God the things which be God's.

Not to be legalistic, but I tend to think that giving 10% to your local church is good sound doctrine. In light of the first great commandment it's interesting to note that it's estimated that we only use 10% of our brains capacity.

Food for thought. :)
Actually, I think the way it works is that we use most of our brains, but only 10% at any given time. :lol:
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

yep, That is the current idea about brain usage.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Ok, I'm tithing my 10% right now. Boy do I feel dumb.... :lol:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

haha, after today, I feel like I'm down to 1%. OR maybe that;s just my energy level. :D

On to more tests!! Whoopee
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Yeah, that was lame, but I had to throw it in. :lol:
7trumpets
Familiar Member

Post by 7trumpets »

led wrote:I know how I feel about this, but I was just wondering what you all thought.

Is tithing for today or is it OT?

First of all we are only to give a tenth. So if you want blessings the next vs is a promise. You should also tith where your fed GOD's WORD.

Mal 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
Second, GOD does not send out beggers. You should be very careful on just who you give a tithes to. If you were to suppose a chruch that teaches falsely then you become a partaker of their evil deeds.

2Jo 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
The doctrine of Christ is the WORD of GOD taught ch by ch and vs by vs. Its not just reading one verse and then blowing hot air for an hour.

2Jo 1:10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

2Jo 1:11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
For_Narniaaa
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by For_Narniaaa »

When I was younger, tithing was impersonal to me. It was something I did habitually because I knew it was Biblical and I did want to do what the Bible said. But then something happened that made it absolutely radical to me. My parents reminded me to tithe my Christmas money, which remember for a kid is a big sacrifice. :ewink: Anyway, I did it: set the ten percent aside in a separate envelope, and gave it away. It marked the end of my Christmas money. My wallet was now empty.

But when I returned home, I opened up my wallet again and found the exact amount I had tithed sitting right in there. So now it's no longer a Biblical thing I do: it's powerful, and I know God appreciates my giving.

While the verse that mentions the whole 10% bit is in Malachi, there are references to giving to God in the NT. For instance, the famous story in Mark 12:41-43: "Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others.""

The rich were giving ten percent (most likely) or possibly more, but Jesus was touched by the SACRIFICE of the widow. So I think the important part of giving isn't the ten percent part, but the sacrificial heart that says, "God, You gave to me, I give to You."

And, of course, God promises in Malachi 3:10 that He will "throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." Who in here wants a little blessing? :ewink: (Isn't it amazing how God gives, we give back, and then He blesses us some more for giving?! That's love.)
y@};-

"Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge." ~Proverbs 1:7

"The God of the universe---the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and E-minor---loves you with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love." ~Francis Chan

Banner credit: arwen-undomiel.com
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious