The Vatican Conspiracy?

Discussions on ecclesiology such as the nature, constitution and functions of the church.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Icei_Nhell wrote:Gnostics may not have been executed during that time but they were persecuted later on.

Can you please identify the "apostolic lineage" of the four NT gospels compared to the gnostics? I would like to hear this.

Nobody has seen that epistle outside the monastary because it was taken out and noted as "being recondotioned" but it never returned as we speak. Fishy.

Holy Blood, Holy Grail was not considered credible despite their research because they were branded as heretical. Being heretical is considered "non-credible" by the Church.
Gnostics were targetted during the inquisition with Tocqumata, but there were not wiespead executions of which I am aware of, certainly not in the early 4th and 5th century. The Church was not organized and acting in this manner to that degree at that time.

Holy Blood, Holy Grail was considered not to be credible not just because it was heretical. The main reason for rejecting it is because so much of it was based upon Pierre Plantard's stories of the Priories of Sion, which were discovered later to be a hoax.

More about this here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Plantard

More about the priory of Scion hoax itself here, http://priory-of-sion.com/

In terms of the authorship of the 4 cananical Gospels.

1. Matthew - Also known as Levi. Direct disciple of Jesus Christ. One of the 12 apostles. Eye-witness to many events and in close relation and communication with other apostles on a real-tiome basis.

2. Mark - A disciple of Peter referenced in a few different patristic writers

Irenaeus (Against Heresies 3.1.1): "After their departure [of Peter and Paul from earth], Mark, the disciple and interpreter of Peter, did also hand down to us in writing what had been preached by Peter."

Justin Martyr quotes from Mark as being the memoirs of Peter (Dial. 106.3)

3. Luke - Probably the Luke mentioned by Paul who travelled with him.

Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother, To Philemon our dear friend and fellow-worker… Epaphras, my fellow-prisoner in Christ Jesus, sends you greetings. And so do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas and Luke, my fellow-workers. (Philemon 1:23-24)

Our dear friend Luke, the doctor, and Demas send greetings. (Colossians 4:14)

Only Luke is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, because he is helpful to me in my ministry. (2 Timothy 4:11)

Probably written after Mark and used it as a source along with many opportunities to interact with other Apostles, disciples and eye-witnesses that travelling with Paul would have afforded.

4. John - The beloved disciple. One of 3 in Jesus' inner circle. Eyewitness to events and close companion to other apostles.

In terms of the gnostic works, you'll have to name a few if you want general histories of them. Many of them are pseudopographal, meaning they were attributed to an apostle even though they were written long after they died, in order to try and give them credibility.

The Gospel of Thomas at Nag Hammadi caused some excitement for a while. Link here for comments I make on this.

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... s&start=15

There are so many others I wouldn't dream of trying to hit them all. If you have questions post the one's you have and I'll remember what i can or do some quick research.

Thanks,

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
JCSx2
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: The Vatican Conspiracy?

Post by JCSx2 »

I believe the Vatican may have Artifacts and other cool stuff they may not be sharing, but as far as the Bible is concerned I am not concerned about its accuracy or validity. I believe in it (it is the word of God) and trust it.

Also if the Vatican were to ever be in the position to withhold information that God has intended for mankind to know or to mislead us then they would be in deep doodoo when the Judgment day arrives.

I currently cannot find the passage but Leaders of the Church are held to a higher standard than an average Joe when Judgment day arrives.

Peace

Jim
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.