Reason vs. Spanking

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

beckyandretti wrote:
Mystical wrote:I think I side with the other non-spankers. I could never hit a little kid.
Mystical, I think you mistake us (the spankers) as being someone that just enjoys hitting children. My children would be the first to tell you there have been times when they deserved to be spanked. But they also had plenty of warning each time before they were spanked as well. My children grew up getting warnings first in english, then in spanish, then it would go to german. (lol my youngest is reading this as I type and she said then german.. then oh no! and yes she is laughing) She is 12 and a very happy member of society.. not abused or mishandled as some people would like to say children turn out like when they are spanked. Spanking is not HITTING to hurt them, it is to make them aware (yes you can tell them what can happen but really... running out in front of oncoming cars tends to be more fatal than a swat on the butt) I also didn't spank in anger, that is another thing that the non-spankers seem to think is happening.. yes I am fully aware of that happening in other families but what happens in some DOES NOT happen in all. Its like saying that all religious people are zealots because some of them tend to be. Please before you decide that all the parents that have spanked their children need to be locked up... pay attention to what you do to your own children. And if you don't have children, while you are entitled to your opinion, when you have children remember to live by the decisions you are trying to force on others.
I think you sound like a wonderful Mother.
=)
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Ok, I have to get in on this, because it's something I have strong feelings on. Look, forget spanking . . . THIS is the best way to discipline!

Hehe, no . . . actually, I support spanking.

God bless :)
Attachments
CA5WLSLF.jpg
CA5WLSLF.jpg (38.52 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

becky:

No hard feelings. But, I also do not think you are right. Nor do I believe a kid ever "deserves" to be hit. When God returns He will clear it up. From what I've read here, however, I believe He has already made it clear.
As kids we were all told in kindergarten that when a frog becomes a prince, that is a fairy tale. But when I was in high school and college, they told us that when a frog becomes a prince, that is science! --Mark Cahill (One Heartbeat Away)
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

Mystical wrote:becky:

No hard feelings. But, I also do not think you are right. Nor do I believe a kid ever "deserves" to be hit. When God returns He will clear it up. From what I've read here, however, I believe He has already made it clear.
Can you Explain what you mean by "hit"?
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

Sure, I use the same definition as most everyone else (excluding those who wish to modify the definition to quell their conscience):

hit--to deliver (as a blow) by action; to strike a blow
strike--to aim and usually deliver a blow, stroke, or thrust (as with the hand, a weapon, or a tool)
spank--to strike esp. on the buttocks with the open hand

PS's short article was very clear: http://www.parentingdecisions.com/suffe ... ldren3.htm
As kids we were all told in kindergarten that when a frog becomes a prince, that is a fairy tale. But when I was in high school and college, they told us that when a frog becomes a prince, that is science! --Mark Cahill (One Heartbeat Away)