Invited to a gay "wedding". Do you go?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Invited to a gay "wedding". Do you go?

Post by RickD »

Recent discussions got me thinking about this question again.

For Christians and Theists only please.

If you got invited to a gay wedding of a friend or family member, would you attend? Why or why not?

Is attending a wedding, a show of not only celebration, but also your acceptance and blessing?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
IceMobster
Christian: No

Re: Invited to a gay "wedding". Do you go?

Post by IceMobster »

I would probably not.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

IceMobster wrote:I would probably not.
Why or why not?
Knowing that we're talking about your friend or family, and your not attending may possibly ruin your relationship with them, why wouldn't you attend?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

Simply because of what you stated in the last sentence.
I do not support such. Thank God homosexual marriages are not allowed in my country. Hopefully it stays that way.

I don't care in what way that would ruin the relationship.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

IceMobster wrote:Simply because of what you stated in the last sentence.
I do not support such. Thank God homosexual marriages are not allowed in my country. Hopefully it stays that way.

Ok. Fair enough.

And I don't know why, but I assumed you are American. I should've used my super mod powers before, so I can see you're not. :D

You have a very good grasp of the English language. Is English your native language?

-Edward R Murrow

IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

RickD wrote:

Ok. Fair enough.

And I don't know why, but I assumed you are American. I should've used my super mod powers before, so I can see you're not. :D

You have a very good grasp of the English language. Is English your native language?
Really, bro? Me, an American?
I get it, I can be an American living in Europe, but, bruh....
English is not my native language(as can be seen here... http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 39&t=40884)....... :mrgreen:

I'm beginning to think you are too old to be a moderator. :pound:

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

IceMobster wrote:
RickD wrote:

Ok. Fair enough.

Really, bro? Me, an American?
I get it, I can be an American living in Europe, but, bruh....
English is not my native language(as can be seen here... http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 39&t=40884)....... :mrgreen:

I'm beginning to think you are too old to be a moderator. :pound:
Yes, I think you're right. I definitely need to pay more attention to the obvious. Seems I not only missed the forest for the trees, but I missed the trees as well. :oops:

Forgive me Milord. :mrgreen:

-Edward R Murrow

IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

RickD wrote: Yes, I think you're right. I definitely need to pay more attention to the obvious. Seems I not only missed the forest for the trees, but I missed the trees as well. :oops:

Forgive me Milord. :mrgreen:
Oh noes! You have been infected with Vergilbola virus! :shock:

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

If our witness to the world is that we desire to honor God's instructions for living - ESPECIALLY one so basically fundamental to families, children, and the very building block of society - then not going is very important. You can communicate that you love them, but cannot honor their pursuit of a union your faith instructs to be unGodly. How could a mature Christian ever smile and be happy over such a union? I think going sends, at the very least, a warped or confusing sense of affirmation to those seeing you there.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:If our witness to the world is that we desire to honor God's instructions for living - ESPECIALLY one so basically fundamental to families, children, and the very building block of society - then not going is very important. You can communicate that you love them, but cannot honor their pursuit of a union your faith instructs to be unGodly. How could a mature Christian ever smile and be happy over such a union? I think going sends, at the very least, a warped or confusing sense of affirmation to those seeing you there.
So Philip,

Are you saying that you wouldn't go? Or are you just one of those Christians who talks the talk, but won't walk the walk? :mrgreen:

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:Recent discussions got me thinking about this question again.

If you got invited to a gay wedding of a friend or family member, would you attend? Why or why not?

Is attending a wedding, a show of not only celebration, but also your acceptance and blessing?
So a christian might argue, that they would go to support the person(s) and not the wedding itself.
But Im not sure you can differentiate. Our old pastor did this with a hetero couple who he believed should not marry and it would be a sin. He refused to marry them but still went to the wedding to 'support' them as individuals. If he believed they were comitting a sin then I dont believe attending was the right thing to do.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:

So a christian might argue, that they would go to support the person(s) and not the wedding itself.
But Im not sure you can differentiate. Our old pastor did this with a hetero couple who he believed should not marry and it would be a sin. He refused to marry them but still went to the wedding to 'support' them as individuals. If he believed they were comitting a sin then I dont believe attending was the right thing to do.
Nessa,

Do you know what the circumstance was, that lead the pastor to believe it was a sin if they got married?

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Nessa,

Do you know what the circumstance was, that lead the pastor to believe it was a sin if they got married?
Divorce - I believe he had previously already married one of them to someone else then they got divorced. Think they both were?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

RickD wrote:If you got invited to a gay wedding of a friend or family member, would you attend? Why or why not?

I would not attend. To be a little nuanced about it, I don't know that attending necessarily confers your acceptance and blessing, but it does seem at least to imply a show of celebration. Most wedding invitations certainly say something along the lines of, "We invite you to celebrate this occasion . . ." I would certainly wish them happiness (sending them a card or gift or whatever), because I wish all people happiness. But I cannot celebrate the means some people go about attempting to achieve that happiness. Beyond that, gay weddings, while now legalized fully, are still novel enough that the fact of the gay marriage will almost certainly be a topic of conversation. It would be kinder of me not to be a part of that, I think, than to go and say, no matter how politely, that I don't support what is happening.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Jac3510 wrote:
RickD wrote:If you got invited to a gay wedding of a friend or family member, would you attend? Why or why not?

I would not attend. To be a little nuanced about it, I don't know that attending necessarily confers your acceptance and blessing, but it does seem at least to imply a show of celebration. Most wedding invitations certainly say something along the lines of, "We invite you to celebrate this occasion . . ." I would certainly wish them happiness (sending them a card or gift or whatever), because I wish all people happiness. But I cannot celebrate the means some people go about attempting to achieve that happiness. Beyond that, gay weddings, while now legalized fully, are still novel enough that the fact of the gay marriage will almost certainly be a topic of conversation. It would be kinder of me not to be a part of that, I think, than to go and say, no matter how politely, that I don't support what is happening.
Wouldnt it be better to wish them something like 'true joy'
Because by wishing people happiness, by default arent you wishing for them whatever makes them happy? Because you just desire 'happiness' for them?

True joy however can only come from God
And wishing someone to be happy isn't necessarily always a good thing.

As God, himself, often doesnt seem too concerned about our 'happiness' either.