Nudity and nudist camps

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Audacity
BANNED
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Nudity and nudist camps

Post by Audacity »

One of my sisters loves being naked. She will often spend all day at home in the nude. She lives in the country and her home is well fenced so she doesn't hesitate to go outside in the buff, working in her garden or whatever. Her husband could best be described as ambivalent, only sometimes going naked. From time to time their two children will run around without clothes, but mostly outside in the summer. When it comes to visitors she's very discrete, checking to see who's at the door before opening it. She never bothers to dress when I come over. Initially, I found this slightly embarrassing, but now it's just a ho-hum, no big deal. The two of them have also belonged to a nudist camp for some years, and from time to time have invited my significant other and me to check it out (we wouldn't have to disrobe for the visit). My SO is interested, and has, in fact, gone topless in our home when the summer days get real hot. This is fine with me, but going to a nudist camp is a whole different thing. I have no body image hang up, but the idea of being naked in front of others is a bit daunting. I was brought up believing one never exposed themselves in "public" or to the opposite sex. However, to put an end to their invitations and the prodding of my SO, I've considered visiting the camp this spring. Their hope of course is that I will change my mind. My hope is that it will be the end of the matter. However, their rational for going nude is beginning to make some sense, and I'm wondering if I should stick to my guns or visit with an open mind.

Considering how my SO feels, where should I be putting my priorities? What would you do?

Last edited by Audacity on Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Nudity and nudist camps

Post by Nessa »

Audacity wrote:One of my sisters loves being naked. She will often spend all day at home in the nude. She lives in the country and her home is well fenced so she doesn't hesitate to go outside in the buff, working in her garden or whatever. Her husband could best be described as ambivalent, only sometimes going naked. From time to time their two children will run around without clothes, but mostly outside in the summer. When it comes to visitors she's very discrete, checking to see who's at the door before opening it. She never bothers to dress when I come over. Initially, I found this slightly embarrassing, but now it's just a ho-hum, no big deal. The two of them have also belonged to a nudist camp for some years, and from time to time have invited my significant other and me to check it out (we wouldn't have to disrobe for the visit). My SO is interested, and has, in fact, gone topless in our home when the summer days get real hot. This is fine with me, but going to a nudist camp is a whole different thing. I have no body image hang up, but the idea of being naked in front of others is a bit daunting. I was brought up believing one never exposed themselves in "public" or to the opposite sex. However, to put an end to their invitations and the prodding of my SO, I've considered visiting the camp this spring. Their hope of course is that I will change my mind. My hope is that it will be the end of the matter. However, Their rational for going nude is beginning to make some sense, and I'm wondering if I should stick to my guns or visit with an open mind.

Considering how my SO feels, where should I be putting my priorities? What would you do?

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... dy#p190280
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nudists are weirdos. You'll fit right in.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

The nudist church you linked to was featured in a documentary a few years ago. Strange bunch of people.

Last edited by Audacity on Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

RickD wrote:Nudists are weirdos. You'll fit right in.
How ya doin', pot?
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Audacity wrote:
The nudist church you linked to was featured on a documentary a few years ago. Strange bunch of people.

Why do you consider them strange?
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

Nessa wrote:
Audacity wrote:
The nudist church you linked to was featured on a documentary a few years ago. Strange bunch of people.

I'm not certain, but I don't remember them being connected with any nudist camp or organization. Rather, they're just people who like to attend church in the nude. To me this is strange.

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Audacity wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Audacity wrote:

I'm not certain, but I don't remember them being connected with any nudist camp or organization. Rather, they're just people who like to attend church in the nude. To me this is strange.

I personally dont find it strange.

It seems to me they are seeking a way to get back to the way they were with God and each other before the fall. It makes sense to me, though I think its a misguided sense of freedom, vulnerabilty and intimacy in this particular instance.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote:I personally dont find it strange.
Strange people often don't find themselves strange.
And weirdos often don't find themselves weird.

Take Kiwis for example, how strange and weird they are. ;)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Audacity wrote:One of my sisters loves being naked. She will often spend all day at home in the nude. She lives in the country and her home is well fenced so she doesn't hesitate to go outside in the buff, working in her garden or whatever. Her husband could best be described as ambivalent, only sometimes going naked. From time to time their two children will run around without clothes, but mostly outside in the summer. When it comes to visitors she's very discrete, checking to see who's at the door before opening it. She never bothers to dress when I come over. Initially, I found this slightly embarrassing, but now it's just a ho-hum, no big deal. The two of them have also belonged to a nudist camp for some years, and from time to time have invited my significant other and me to check it out (we wouldn't have to disrobe for the visit). My SO is interested, and has, in fact, gone topless in our home when the summer days get real hot. This is fine with me, but going to a nudist camp is a whole different thing. I have no body image hang up, but the idea of being naked in front of others is a bit daunting. I was brought up believing one never exposed themselves in "public" or to the opposite sex. However, to put an end to their invitations and the prodding of my SO, I've considered visiting the camp this spring. Their hope of course is that I will change my mind. My hope is that it will be the end of the matter. However, their rational for going nude is beginning to make some sense, and I'm wondering if I should stick to my guns or visit with an open mind.

Morally, it's hard to pin what exactly is wrong.
Except that lustful thoughts could occur, even in the best of us.
Oh, and if someone doesn't wipe properly, you could see a skid mark on this chair or that. :P

I often can't control where my mind wonders.
Would you mind if someone lusted over your significant other?
Or if your SO had thoughts of someone else?

I'm flawed in that respect.
Perhaps others think themselves better, maybe they are, but I doubt it.
Why is your sister conscious to others when naked? Perhaps, she doesn't want them gawking perhaps, in addition to likely not wanting to offend.

So, for me, I wouldn't want to entertain my mind with things it'll distort and err, focus in on.
More important things than running around nude.
You can get thread worms easier too, that's never fun. ;)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

That's just not normal, one's sister walking around naked in front of a male sibling. There's something seriously wrong with that.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:That's just not normal, one's sister walking around naked in front of a male sibling. There's something seriously wrong with that.
What is normal is not always a good thing.

I mean how much of what we say is normal or not normal is just due to upbringing and culture.
Cos for some culture nudity is viewed different and we dont necessarily see that as wrong.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Last edited by Nessa on Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Are manners and etiquette a moral issue?
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Last edited by Nessa on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.