If not theism then what?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: If not theism then what?

Post by Kurieuo »

Audie wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Audie wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:What on earth are you talking about Audie?
ANY behaviour that deviate from the ideal norm for humans is deviant behaviour

adjective
deviating or departing from the norm; characterized by deviation :
That is correct and homosexuality falls under that category for humans biologically speaking.
I tried it, its not for me. Am I still a deviant? :D
Omg! If you only knew. She almost got naive me in trouble with my mother-in-law when I was going to ask her want some "Filipino" word meant.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

PaulSacramento wrote:Th equestionis, if not theisim ( a belief in God) then what?
Will, obviously we have 2:
1) the belief that we simply do not and may never know ( until we die of course) if there is a God.
2) The belief that there is NO God and that THIS, right NOW, is all there is.

While 1 does not necessarily lead to materialism, 2 most certainly does.
Materialism is the belief that the material world we are part of and observe is all there is.

But there is more to atheism and that is, perhaps, best summed up by Richard Dawkins:

The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.
Richard Dawkins

Of course, this is also the same person that openly admits:

We are a very, very unusual species.
Richard Dawkins

I accept that there may be things far grander and more incomprehensible than we can possibly imagine.
Richard Dawkins

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.
Richard Dawkins

The real issue in regards to a world view and dealing with the problems that many atheist put out ( emotional ones like the problem of suffering for example) is, IMO, this:

While for the Theist the problem if suffering is a valid one to debate and even anguish about since the Theist believes in a God, for the atheist that believes the universe is, to quote Mr Dawkins:
"no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference", there really is NO problem of suffering at all, or injustice or even right and wrong since, well...the universe does NOT exhibit those traits at all.

So, from where does the atheist, the logical atheist, then get his/her view about good or bad or suffering ?[/quotto.
I don't like the word theist,even though it is used a lot but we've got to make sure we are believing in the true God and we can only get to the true God through Jesus Christ but if we reject God then all the suffering we did in this life will be even worse in hell for eternity,but if we believe in God and have been saved by Jesus then we know that any suffering in this world will have been worth it once we get to heaven and justice is done by God,all things will be set right and we will not even remember any suffering in this world and God will wipe away all of our tears.

There are many false religions and false doctrines out there that have people deceived but there will be no excuses especially if a person lived in the west because everybody has heard about Jesus and knows about him and has either received him or rejected him by their own freewill.This is why I continue to try to witness and spread the good news of Jesus even if they don't listen,they will be inexcusable,they will not be able to say I didn't know.

Without God a person has no hope and expects to die and that's it,with no justice for the suffering they complained about in order to mock God.
Jesus made it too easy to reject God and people will have absolutely no excuse why they rejected him.Everybody knows about Jesus,it reminds me of a song I used to listen to.But most atheists have made science their god without realizing it,denying their faith when science cannot even answer a lot of questions and does not do proof,yet despite this a lot of atheists put their faith in science without proof,while demanding proof for God.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

stuartcr wrote:Not being an atheist, I guess I have a problem comprehending what a strictly material world is or would be like.
Imagine a world where if it is proven to exist, they call it material

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
stuartcr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by stuartcr »

Kenny wrote:
stuartcr wrote:Not being an atheist, I guess I have a problem comprehending what a strictly material world is or would be like.

Ken
Sorry, still can't. Some things I just can't imagine.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

stuartcr wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
I feel ya bro!

K
RickD wrote
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Kenny wrote:

Ken
This is putting a person's faith in infinite regression,which is impossible according to logic,reason and reality.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:
stuartcr wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
I feel ya bro!

K
Also add to a physical world "conscious beings" who although appear to think, believe and will, but actually have no effect upon the physical world. ;)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
This is putting a person's faith in infinite regression,which is impossible according to logic,reason and reality.
Perhaps impossible according to what we KNOW about reality. But there is an awful lot about reality that we just don't know. And infinite regression is only a problem is we assume everything has a beginning. If we don't make that assumption, I don't see how infinite regression is a problem; do you?

Ken
RickD wrote