sweatshops

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: sweatshops

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Fancy a haggis?

There's nothing fancy about haggis ! :pound: :wave:, but yes my family (dad's side) is northern England and Scotland. Not been out of U.S., besides Tijuana, but hope to soon to locate old trails and maybe family.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

FYI,

John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

Knew there was a reason I loved you ES!

Haggis is just ikky.

Hubbys grandfather was half Scottish/American.

Rick, you don't like dripping yet you like haggis? Youre just weird.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:Knew there was a reason I loved you ES!

Haggis is just ikky.

Oh no! The pic I posted says "Real Men Eat Haggis". You're assuming that I'm a real man. There's your mistake! :thanks:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Knew there was a reason I loved you ES!

Haggis is just ikky.

Oh no! The pic I posted says "Real Men Eat Haggis". You're assuming that I'm a real man. There's your mistake! :thanks:
sorry, my bad :dancing: :knitting: :twodancing:
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

:pound: hoot mon it be the haggis hop Image
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Audie
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Philip wrote:And, no, every time I buy a shirt made by some 3rd world poor's factory, I'm not to have great guilt over the fact that they are being paid poorly.
Agreed. Frankly, I believe this whole topic was intended as bait for Christians by Audie. Bait, like the live dogs that are used to fish for shark by various Asian nations...

FL y~o)
You would think that.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Philip wrote:And, no, every time I buy a shirt made by some 3rd world poor's factory, I'm not to have great guilt over the fact that they are being paid poorly.
Agreed. Frankly, I believe this whole topic was intended as bait for Christians by Audie. Bait, like the live dogs that are used to fish for shark by various Asian nations...

FL y~o)
Maybe Audie feels bad running her own sweat shop ring? :P

I dont run them.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

B. W. wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:Why do some of you guys feel a need to attack her culture? You ought to be ashamed.

Ken
Are you saying there is something bad about sweatshops found within such cultures?
I was referring to the Jokes made about Chinese and Asians.

K
Well, we can make them about Canadians then or us yanks or better yet the New England Patriots?

Whats wrong with a sense of humor?

I am sure the Chinese have doozies about western cultures too...

There is a really bad joke Clinton did back in the mid 1990's selling Nuke reactor parts to North Korea. Now, today on the news, the North Koreans successfully launched an ICBM underwater from a submarine and then there is the wondrous Iran nuke deal...

Yes, the joke maybe real soon on us so lighten up - really dark times are ahead Kenny... that is no joke.
-
-
-
Two important Chinese went to the White House for dinner. Mr X and Mr. Y.

They were eating dinner and Crinton had to go take an important phone call!

So Mr. X decided to take a white house plate for a souvenier, he put it in his pocket.

Y thought he should too. But just then Crinton came back.

"Look, our friend Mr.X was teaching me a magic trick! I put this plate in my pocket and it appears in his!"
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:Why do some of you guys feel a need to attack her culture? You ought to be ashamed.

Ken
Are you saying there is something bad about sweatshops found within such cultures?
I was referring to the Jokes made about Chinese and Asians. I can understand disliking her because she is not Christian like you guys, but that's a little uncalled for; don't cha think?

K
Kenny,

If you'd done your homework, and paid attention, you'd have seen that Audie jokes right along with us. It's what we do here. It's all friendly fun.

And we don't dislike Audie. We love Audie. All 49kg of fightin' Geisha!
Ken was misreading the situation, I almost liked* you, no offense was taken and all was well until YOU had the nerve to implicate me as being Japanese!

Now I am deeply hurt and infuriated. Meanie.

*just trying to be nice, I meant "barely tolerate while holding my nose"
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Nicki wrote:
Audie wrote:Is it moral / ethical to purchase goods produced in third world sweatshops?
A good question - I don't think it was necessarily bait. It's not very ethical but it's probably hard to avoid these days if you're not wealthy. I remember my mother making a lot of our clothes (which I didn't appreciate at all when all the other kids at school seemed to have cool bought clothes) until she realised she could buy them more cheaply than what she paid for the material to make them. Clothes were probably pretty expensive when she was growing up because of where and how they were made.

My take on it is that it is not unethical as such to buy from such sources. The people desperately need the work.

What a person should do to try to ensure they only buy from producers that are themselves ethical in how they treat the workers, I dont know. The way that products can be moved about to disguise their origin may make it impossible.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Philip wrote:
Rick: Yes, I shop at Wal-Mart all the time. :D

Personally, I like to avoid it! :pound:

As much as possible. :roll:
NOW look at who is putting out bait! The American Trailer parkers will have their tongues hanging out.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Truth is, there's always at least a bit of truth behind stereotypes. Question always is, is the stereotyping accurate to the person/situation someone applies it to? And so many stereotypes are just funny.

ANYONE we know? :lol:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:Truth is, there's always at least a bit of truth behind stereotypes. Question always is, is the stereotyping accurate to the person/situation someone applies it to? And so many stereotypes are just funny.

ANYONE we know? :lol:
That almost looks like Furstentum Liechtenstein! I say "almost", because if it were FL, it would be a whisky bottle, instead of wine. :pound:

Ok, I like this game. My turn. Who's this? Hint: he lives in a state between Georgia and North Carolina.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Er, more like someone living BELOW Georgia, but just barely.

:pound: