Polygamy Natural?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Polygamy Natural?

Post by RickD »

If we are just a product of Godless evolution, then it seems we are nothing more than a highly evolved animal. And what's good for other animals, is good for people too.

But, if we were created by God, the same God whose word says in Genesis 2:24:
24 For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.

Then no, monogamy is not unnatural. If we were created by God to be with one partner, then that's what's natural for us.
Of course, if one wants to believe we evolved from animals, then we are really no different than animals. And we can do whatever feels good. Polygamy included.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by UsagiTsukino »

So how should we visit these studies
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

UsagiTsukino wrote:So how should we visit these studies
With a grain of salt. ;)
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

RickD wrote:
With a grain of salt. ;)
Good point. When I think about ither studies show that Polygamy is not the best or truly natural.

Also, a 2012 study from the University of British Columbia shows that, in polygamist cultures, "the intra-sexual competition that occurs causes greater levels of crime, violence, poverty and gender inequality than in societies that institutionalize and practice monogamous marriage".

A 2013 study of Nigerian students, published in the International Journal of Psychology and Counselling, showed that "there is a significant difference in the overall academic achievement of students from monogamous families and those from polygamous families" and "that life in polygamous family can be traumatic and children brought up in such family structure often suffer some emotional problems such as lack of warmth, love despite availability of money and material resources, and disciplinary problems which may hinder their academic performance."

A study of Bedouin-Arab women found that "Women in polygamous marriages showed significantly higher psychological distress, and higher levels of somatisation, phobia and other psychological problems. They also had significantly more problems in family functioning, marital relationships and life satisfaction

I mean sexually yea but not the best for mankind if you want to find love
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

As examples of this.

edit:

But to the OP, no, polygamy is not "natural." Monogamy is. We desire multiple partners because we desire members of the opposite sex (please let's not get off into the homosexuality debate). It does not follow that it "natural," then, to give in to such desires. I might desire to eat very large quantities of food that is very bad for me, but it is decidedly unnatural to do so, in the sense of it is contrary to my nature, as the effects of such behavior soon make clear (not just obesity, but all the related health problems).

Monogamy is natural (and by necessary extension, polygamy is unnatural) because such goes against our natures, what we are, what we are meant to be, what we need to realize our fullest potential for happiness, both natural and supernatural. For an excellent, detailed discussion of the ideas under these statements, I refer you yet again to the often recommended Last Superstition by Ed Feser.

edit2:

I love that we are doing studies to show that women can be sexually attracted to more men than just their husbands . . .
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Just because we CAN do something doesn't mean we should.
Just because something MAY hold an reflationary advantage doesn't mean it should be done.
Human history has shown us that when a civilization loses it's moral compass, collapse is inevitable ( unless something happens to change).
Polygamist civilizations has existed, that they were shown NOT to be the best way to go is obvious by the simple fact that monogamy is the ideal in the vast majority of current AND past civilizations.

We really need to define "natural" before we start debating what is or isn't.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

So how would you guys defined naturally. Well polygamy is bad for people and families

Here is an 2012 study: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 093142.htm
Here is an 2013: http://www.academicjournals.org/article ... ehinwa.pdf
And here is an Bedouin-Arab women: http://isp.sagepub.com/content/52/1/5.abstract
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

UsagiTsukino wrote:So how would you guys defined naturally. Well polygamy is bad for people and families

Here is an 2012 study: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 093142.htm
Here is an 2013: http://www.academicjournals.org/article ... ehinwa.pdf
And here is an Bedouin-Arab women: http://isp.sagepub.com/content/52/1/5.abstract
One can define natural as to what is observable in nature OR we can define it as what is best/good/ideal for the intended purpose.

It is natural to have 2 arms and 2 legs BUT a person that is born without arms is not un-natural per say, but their condition would be.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
If we are just a product of Godless evolution, then it seems we are nothing more than a highly evolved animal. And what's good for other animals, is good for people too.

24 For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.

Then no, monogamy is not unnatural. If we were created by God to be with one partner, then that's what's natural for us.
Of course, if one wants to believe we evolved from animals, then we are really no different than animals. And we can do whatever feels good. Polygamy included.
What is good for "other animals" includes flying about echolocating insects to eat.

"Really no different"? Surely you are joking, I mean, holy batlogic!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:

What is good for "other animals" includes flying about echolocating insects to eat.

Sure. In China, they eat dogs. :fainting:

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:

Sure. In China, they eat dogs. :fainting:

You've watched kids too young to get the idae of interactive play? They sit nearby, doing "parallel play".

What about an attempted conversation with you could possibly make me think of that?