Gaming addiction

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
FlawedIntellect
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Gaming addiction

Post by FlawedIntellect »

Starhunter wrote:I don't know the game, but it sounds like you have to fly like crazy to make it?

Why are we far less inclined to take risks, put energy, planning, speed and skill into real life?

Is life so unpredictable and unrewarding that, if you want the feeling of success - play a game?

We deserve to succeed don't we?
Well, for one, many people live lives with mundane jobs, and don't get a lot of vacation time. A number of jobs require highly specialized skills for a specific purpose.

Video games can take people to places that are different from their norm. Sometimes these games center around a different job. Sometimes these games have very surreal settings, which embrace their silliness to engage the player. Even so, there are things that are done in games that are dangerous or even impossible to do in real life. Can you drive racecars professionally at incredible speeds, if not any other car? [Need for Speed, gran Turrismo, Forza, etc...] Can you run in a suit of armor and fight against giant dinosaur-like creatures, and use items collected from them to create better armor and weapons? [Monster Hunter], can you take on a muscular person nearly the size of a two-story building and knock him out with a series of well-timed flashy moves in a sequence? [Street Fighter, Marvel VS Capcom, Tatsunoko VS Capcom, Guilty Gear, etc...]
Can you single-handedly fight off an entire alien invasion in your flying ship? (Alien Invaders, Galaga, Galaxian, DoDonPachi, etc...) How about single-handedly snatching the plans to the Death Star to give the Rebel Alliance a fighting chance? [Star Wars Dark Forces].
Starhunter
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Starhunter »

So can we generalize, and say that games are a place to overcome - whatever...?

So many different reasons people play.

I believe people have a deep need to be empowered, to be able to overcome whatever is hindering their experience of life.

What if that deep need is stronger than humans would like to admit and that the Spirit of God is driving that dissatisfaction?

So to have an addiction, may be a good sign, and not necessarily a bad one?

Could it be that this inner desire to overcome is being utilized by the enemy of God to distract them?

Is there a prize and victory that can be obtained in the real game of life, which has been withheld from us by our own blindness?
FlawedIntellect
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by FlawedIntellect »

Okay, look. Video games are a form of temporary escapism, much like movies or books, except that it is interactive by nature. It's more like taking a brief vacation in a fantasy world.

It's one way people can cope with the stress life can bring, and also a way to cope with boredom.

Can it be utilized by the evil one as a distraction from the importance of spiritual growth in a walk with God? Sure, though the real question is what can't be used as a form of hindrance in that regard?

Video games aren't necessarily inherently evil. It depends on the purpose for the game's existence by the developers' intentions, and on the purpose for which a player uses the game.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

any type of addiction is damaging, including addiction to prayer. By addiction I mean when people leave everything out and just become so focused on a thing that it damages them and people around them.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Alpha~Omega
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Alpha~Omega »

Dark Souls.

The Bible says to honor the Lord in all we do. I use the time I spend playing Bideo Games to further Gods kingdom.

For instance, I play a couple games where you have a screen name and interact with other people. A common name I use for such games is "Turn2Christ".

Oddly enough, my name can be seen in several videos on youtube. God works in mysterious ways.
The Neurotic Saint.