Christians should not eat meat

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Christians should not eat meat

Post by UsagiTsukino »

It's not a sin for Christians to eat meat. Many did eat meat in the bible. God even made rules
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Sex: Male

Post by PaulSacramento »

It is important to understand that in the end, we will not need to eat at all ( though we still will be able to just like Jesus still did after His resurrection).
As for now though, there is NO prohibition in the OT Laws ( all over 600 of them) against eating meat and fish OTHER THAN CERTAIN types and that ( it can be argued) was/is only applicable to Jews.
Paul mentions that for a Christian eating anything (except driving/eating blood) is OK UNLESS it may stumble those of weaker faith that maybe present.
So...
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

It is important to understand that in the end, we will not need to eat at all ( though we still will be able to just like Jesus still did after His resurrection)
Paul, I don't understand.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philip wrote:
It is important to understand that in the end, we will not need to eat at all ( though we still will be able to just like Jesus still did after His resurrection)
Paul, I don't understand.
I don't think our resurrected bodies will have need of food like they do now.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

NEEDING food and enjoying food can be two different things.

And this: "On this mountain the Lord Almighty will prepare a feast of rich food for all peoples, a banquet of aged wine - the best of meats and the finest of wines" (Isaiah 25:6)

Physical bodies are created to enjoy physical pleasures - and God delights in our enjoyment of things He created for such pleasures. We will be PHYSICALLY resurrected with new, glorified and yes, PHYSICAL, bodies. Why would a physical body not be created to enjoy physical things. And to go along with our new, physical bodies will be the new Heaven merged with the restored, purified earth - an incredible physical place in which our future, resurrected bodies will be designed to inhabit. There are many PHYSICAL things and pleasures described about the Heaven (and New Earth) to come - why would physical pleasures like sharing deliscious foods and beverages nt also be included?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philip wrote:
NEEDING food and enjoying food can be two different things.

And this: "On this mountain the Lord Almighty will prepare a feast of rich food for all peoples, a banquet of aged wine - the best of meats and the finest of wines" (Isaiah 25:6)

Physical bodies are created to enjoy physical pleasures - and God delights in our enjoyment of things He created for such pleasures. We will be PHYSICALLY resurrected with new, glorified and yes, PHYSICAL, bodies. Why would a physical body not be created to enjoy physical things. And to go along with our new, physical bodies will be the new Heaven merged with the restored, purified earth - an incredible physical place in which our future, resurrected bodies will be designed to inhabit. There are many PHYSICAL things and pleasures described about the Heaven (and New Earth) to come - why would physical pleasures like sharing delicious foods and beverages nt also be included?
Fair point.
I just don't think that immortal bodies would need anything as crude as "food" like we need now.
I think that imagery of "banquet tables" and such in heaven is just that imagery BUT if I am wrong I am certainly OK with that !
I just don't think angelic beings need food like we do and that since our resurrected bodies will not be of blood but only flesh and bone, that we won't need food like we do now.
Immortal beings don't need food, if they needed that means they would die without it hence, not be immortal.
Of course we CAN eat, just like Christ did, again I just don't think we will have to.
Lonewolf
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Lonewolf »

LOL @ frankenchicken and moo's no more y~:> y3:-O y[-X
Perhaps merely an urban legend, but I heard that before naming their hamburger business, "MacDonalds," the founders considered the name, "Moos No More," but thought it sounded too negative, too anti-cow.
Nah, ptc, that's too implausible. Now, KFC's Frankenchicken ... that has the ring of troof!
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

PaulSacramento wrote: Fair point.
I just don't think that immortal bodies would need anything as crude as "food" like we need now.
I think that imagery of "banquet tables" and such in heaven is just that imagery BUT if I am wrong I am certainly OK with that !
I just don't think angelic beings need food like we do and that since our resurrected bodies will not be of blood but only flesh and bone, that we won't need food like we do now.
Immortal beings don't need food, if they needed that means they would die without it hence, not be immortal.
Of course we CAN eat, just like Christ did, again I just don't think we will have to.
Pablo :scratch:

Why or where in scripture does it teach that our new bodies will be devoid of blood or any other physical component? Are we not to be made whole again?

I'm sure the eating part will not be like a necessity for an immortal body, but eating itself would not make one neither mortal nor immortal.
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Well, I'm SURE there won't be any golden arches in Heaven - thank the Lord!
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Ah come on! we all want bacon and chicken in heaven. That is all this debate is about. :mrgreen:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Lonewolf wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote: Fair point.
Pablo :scratch:

Why or where in scripture does it teach that our new bodies will be devoid of blood or any other physical component? Are we not to be made whole again?

I'm sure the eating part will not be like a necessity for an immortal body, but eating itself would not make one neither mortal nor immortal.
Christ said His body ( which ours will be like) is flesh and bones.
No mention of blood at all.
As for eating, like I mentioned before, we will be able to, just as Christ did, but I don't think we will need to.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

As for eating, like I mentioned before, we will be able to, just as Christ did, but I don't think we will need to.
Is brain flesh? What about my nails? :shock:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:
Is brain flesh? What about my nails? :shock:
What does Christ say?
"And He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? 39 "See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have." (Luke 24:38-39).

And Paul:
http://www.reasonablefaith.org/jesus-body

IMO, our resurrected bodies will be like Christ's, flesh and bone but no blood because it will be a "spiritual based" body and instead of blood what will flow through our "veins and arteries" will by "spirit energy" ( for lack of a better word).
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

I think u have it real Jesus does talk about eating meat and that's it's not a sin.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

The New Testament records that Jesus did eat the Passover feast, which would include the eating of the roasted lamb (Luke 22:14-15). In fact, before the last Passover meal, Jesus specifically instructs his disciples to prepare the meal, including the lamb, for their observance.