Christians should not eat meat

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Christians should not eat meat

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Not only did Jesus eat lamb, but he also ate fish. "But while they still did not believe for joy, and marveled, He said to them, 'Have you any food here?' So they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish and some honeycomb. And He took it and ate in their presence" (Luke 24:41-43). He served it for the 4,000 in Matthew 15:34-37. Jesus also promoted the catching of fish for the purpose of consuming them.

Paul instructed Christians to eat anything sold in the meat market without question (I Corinthians 10:25-26). In fact, the forbidding of eating certain foods is an indication of people departing from the Christian faith.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

UsagiTsukino wrote:Paul instructed Christians to eat anything sold in the meat market without question (I Corinthians 10:25-26). In fact, the forbidding of eating certain foods is an indication of people departing from the Christian faith.
Well...not really. A Christian can decide to abstain from certain foods as a sacrifice to God. The most common of these abstentions are practiced Messianic Jews (also known as Hebrew Christians) who decide to follow the dietary laws of the Old Testament. In Christians with no Jewish heritage, a decision to abstain from alcohol is quite common, especially in America.

Excuse me now, my bacon is ready...and I have a good glass of wine to enjoy with it!

FL :D y:@)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Lonewolf
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Lonewolf »

I don't read Paul "instructing" them to eat anything sold in the market without question <~ that's talking it out of context., read the whole Epistle again!
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

But it was still not a sin to eat meat only certain for Jewish people . Passover had lamb. It's not a sin to eat meat. Jesus eat fish Luke 24:42-43. Also passover normally had lamb. U can't say something is a sin without it stating it in the old testament there was people who still eat meat but could not eat certain meats.
Cloud
Newbie Member

Post by Cloud »

Regarding the 1 Corinthians 10 passage: It would seem Romans 14:1-11 speaks about the overarching principle a little more, though Paul does mention meat specifically.
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Be more concerned with what comes out of your mouth......not what goes in it.

"Food doesn't go into your heart, but only passes through the stomach and then goes into the sewer." (By saying this, he declared that every kind of food is acceptable in God's eyes.) (Mark 7:19) "And then he added, "It is what comes from inside that defiles you." (Mark 7:20)

"What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' " (Matthew 15:11)
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
Dorothy89
Newbie Member

Post by Dorothy89 »

My sister is vegan. She told me that if I love God I love all animals too. So why I eat them? It's so hard for me now... I don't know what is better... Eat or not to eat. That is a question!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Dorothy89 wrote:My sister is vegan. She told me that if I love God I love all animals too. So why I eat them? It's so hard for me now... I don't know what is better... Eat or not to eat. That is a question!
I love animals too. I love them in my salad, in my soup, as a slab on a plate next to a potato. I love animals with cheese on a sandwich. You're making me hungry. I must go slaughter the fattened calf. Baaaa!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:
Dorothy89 wrote:My sister is vegan. She told me that if I love God I love all animals too. So why I eat them? It's so hard for me now... I don't know what is better... Eat or not to eat. That is a question!
I love animals too. I love them in my salad, in my soup, as a slab on a plate next to a potato. I love animals with cheese on a sandwich. You're making me hungry. I must go slaughter the fattened calf. Baaaa!
Rick....

Calves don't go Baaaa!
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by Storyteller »

I love animals too. Still eat them though.

I think it is how they are treated in life and how they are killed that is important.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:
RickD wrote:
Rick....

Calves don't go Baaaa!
Mine do. They're well trained. My dog goes meow too. y#-o
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think that what a person decides to eat is THEIR business, even more so WHY.

There is a natural cycle of life that has been since the dawn of time that keeps a natural balance in the world and predators ( human or otherwise) are part of that balance, to deny that is to deny nature and to deny how nature works is to deny God that created it to be that way.