Two kinds of morality

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Two kinds of morality

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
stuartcr wrote:
tawny wrote:
The Protector wrote: indeed, that we spend so much time wringing our hands asking why there is evil if God exists, when the truly baffling question is why there is good if He does not.
I am no theologian, but just from a simple Christian's point of view, this is what I tell people when we discuss evil. If there were no God, there would be no good, so the existence of good tells me that God exists. For instance, when some human goes bonkers and kills a bunch of people, I wholeheartedly agree that it is awful, but then I wonder, why doesn't this happen all the time? There must be something, someone, preventing it. It makes perfect sense to me, but most people can't seem to grasp this.
Perhaps God just is, and the concept of good and evil is strictly a human concept?
Why, if it is a human Concetta, would it exist at all then?
I was all excited that I was going to learn a new word today. Then I googled "Concetta", and found no definition. Is it a Canadian idiom?
LMAO !

I actually knew a latina hotty named Maria Concetta, might have been a Freudian slip there...
stuartcr
Valued Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by stuartcr »

PaulSacramento wrote:
stuartcr wrote:
tawny wrote:
The Protector wrote: indeed, that we spend so much time wringing our hands asking why there is evil if God exists, when the truly baffling question is why there is good if He does not.
I am no theologian, but just from a simple Christian's point of view, this is what I tell people when we discuss evil. If there were no God, there would be no good, so the existence of good tells me that God exists. For instance, when some human goes bonkers and kills a bunch of people, I wholeheartedly agree that it is awful, but then I wonder, why doesn't this happen all the time? There must be something, someone, preventing it. It makes perfect sense to me, but most people can't seem to grasp this.
Perhaps God just is, and the concept of good and evil is strictly a human concept?
Not sure about Concetta, but if you mean concept, then it exists because it's part of being human. As to the why, how would I know? You will have to get that answer from God.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

stuartcr wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
stuartcr wrote:
tawny wrote:
Not sure about Concetta, but if you mean concept, then it exists because it's part of being human. As to the why, how would I know? You will have to get that answer from God.
Yes, it was a typo for concept.

The point is that every human concept we have has come from meeting some need, some view, something.
So, where would a human ( the first one to invent the concept of good and evil) get the notion that such a thing exists?
kowalskil
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Framework

Post by kowalskil »

The term "such a thing" has different meaning to different people.

Ludwik
Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia) is the author of a FREE ON-LINE autobiography, entitled “Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality.”

//csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html

It is a testimony based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA).
The more people know about proletarian dictatorship the less likely will we experience it.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Why, if it is a human Concetta, would it exist at all then?[/quote]

Not sure about Concetta, but if you mean concept, then it exists because it's part of being human. As to the why, how would I know? You will have to get that answer from God.[/quote]

The point is that every human concept we have has come from meeting some need, some view, something.
So, where would a human ( the first one to invent the concept of good and evil) get the notion that such a thing exists?[/quote]
I don't know that every human concept we have comes from meeting a need. Maybe it wasn't invented by a human, but is what makes us human? We would get it from God. Perhaps the need, is to be able to make laws and live in societies.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

stuartcr wrote:Why, if it is a human Concetta, would it exist at all then?
Not sure about Concetta, but if you mean concept, then it exists because it's part of being human. As to the why, how would I know? You will have to get that answer from God.[/quote]

So, where would a human ( the first one to invent the concept of good and evil) get the notion that such a thing exists?[/quote]
I don't know that every human concept we have comes from meeting a need. Maybe it wasn't invented by a human, but is what makes us human? We would get it from God. Perhaps the need, is to be able to make laws and live in societies.[/quote]

Why would we NEED to make any laws or even live in societies?
Small groups make sense of course, we see this in the animal kingdoms, but what would compel humans to create societies and laws to govern them?
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Human nature I imagine. You're asking questions of a man, that cannot be answered by man. I learned a long time ago, that there are many things that we just cannot know. It really doesn't bother me. I'm just glad God made me the way I am, and I'm happy just to put my 80 or so years on this planet, and move on to maybe something else.