is Cursing wrong

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
tunde1992
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

is Cursing wrong

Post by tunde1992 »

i want a nice clean debate
ive heard arguments from both side
such as its the intent not the word or we live in a civilized society dont curse e.t.c
so is cursing wrong :P
personally i dont really curse
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
-matthew 6:33
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: is Cursing wrong

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Depends on what you mean by cursing, do you mean swearing or a ritual where you put a curse on someone.

The ritual I would have a problem with as it is classed as witchcraft or satanic.

As to words that might not be socially acceptable, I think that words only have the meaning you give them.

For example if you say sh*t, it still would hold the same meaning if you said sugar , it's just that one is more socially acceptable than the other.

I try not to swear because I am trying to be an example to the community around me, also the Bible has lots of things to say about talking dribble.

I would also not want to be a stumbling block to another in or out of the faith.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

You bet your *%^$'ing @$& it it!!
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Sam1995
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Sam1995 »

Whether or not it's right, I guess is down to what your moral viewpoint is of swearing. Purely from a philosophical perspective, I think when you're in a public place then it would probably be....a bit better not to use profanity, if I'm honest - I guess because parents walking about with children, things like that.

When you're on your own or with friends, then you have a decision to make as to whether it's right or wrong.

SB :)
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

depends how it's directed at something/ somebody in my humble opinion.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte