Chick-Fil-A

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Chick-Fil-A

Post by RickD »

I was interested in this subject because, first, I used to live in Massachusetts, and I'm familiar with Boston's mayor Tom "Mumbles" Menino. And, second, because I enjoy Chick-Fil-A. They are one place I eat that has great food, and more importantly to me, Great customer service, in a world that seems horrible customer service is the norm. Here's to links to the discussion, and please keep the conversation civil.

Boston Mayor Vows to Keep Chick-Fil-A out of City
And
Chick-fil-A president says company opposes gay marriage
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Chick-Fil-A

Post by Ivellious »

I don't understand why things like this need to get so political. I mean, unless a company starts deciding that they won't hire gay employees or won't serve gay people or whatever, it's just an opinion. And, in this case, it's the opinion of the President of the company, not even a company-wide message.

The opposite case caused a minor furor where I live, when the local company General Mills and Oreo expressed their opposition to a constitutional ban on gay marriage and some conservative Christian groups started to organize a boycott/mass cereal throwing-out ceremony. Not that it really amounted to anything serious, but it seems silly for political groups to take these corporate opinions so seriously, regardless of which side it falls on.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I actually think it's kinda comical, that the Boston mayor Menino, is intolerant of companies that he thinks are intolerant. :pound:

Is he not going to allow permits to churches that disagree with homosexual "marriage"? The Catholic Church is huge in Boston. Mumbles Menino would be run out of town. So, mayor Menino, be consistent with your intolerance of businesses that you think are intolerant. Shut down all churches in Boston that don't agree with your beliefs.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Beanybag
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Beanybag »

Ivellious wrote:I don't understand why things like this need to get so political. I mean, unless a company starts deciding that they won't hire gay employees or won't serve gay people or whatever, it's just an opinion. And, in this case, it's the opinion of the President of the company, not even a company-wide message.

The opposite case caused a minor furor where I live, when the local company General Mills and Oreo expressed their opposition to a constitutional ban on gay marriage and some conservative Christian groups started to organize a boycott/mass cereal throwing-out ceremony. Not that it really amounted to anything serious, but it seems silly for political groups to take these corporate opinions so seriously, regardless of which side it falls on.
The reason it is political is because it's more than just speech. The coorporation donates millions to anti-gay groups that oppose same-sex marriage. Thus, money for Chic-fil-a is money against same-sex marriage. This boycott is a refusal to donate money to something that goes against your personal causes. Sure, they don't discriminate against gay customers (they have, however, fired people in the past for 'sinful behavior', make of that what you will). But why would a gay customer essentially give money through their purchase to the opposition?

As for the oreo message and General Mills... that really was nothing more than a picture. Their previous history has shown opposition to same-sex marriage and presently, they have not donated any money towards furthering the cause of same-sex marriage. In other words, just talk, possibly a marketing decision.

I don't think the mayor actually can forbid the company from establishing that location if they've gone through all the necessary hoops. I'm unsure how it works. And being intolerant of intolerance is the only consistent way to fight it. Maybe things fall into that funny little category.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

But why would a gay customer essentially give money through their purchase to the opposition?
Maybe because they like their chicken? Or maybe because not all "gays" are for gay "marriage", and they have good chicken. :mrgreen:

There certainly are things that Southern Baptists believe, that I don't exactly see eye to eye on, but man, they have good chicken, and GREAT customer service. If I protested every company when I disagreed with something they stood for, I wouldn't be buying anything.

-Edward R Murrow

FlawedIntellect
Established Member

Post by FlawedIntellect »

I was wondering what Chick-Fil-A had to do with Morality. But calling such beliefs "stuck in the past"? Bullcrap!

Homosexuality is being stuck in the past! Look at the Greeks!

But eh, this is quite a laugh in some ways, that people are going to be haters over something as simple as standing up for what's right. It doesn't seem like they're out to get or harm anybody. It seems more like a passive yet vocal stance rather than an aggressive tactic to me.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

As someone else said, heavily Catholic Boston supports a "company" that is far larger than Chick Fil A. And the Pope himself said this past January that gay marriage was one of several threats to the traditional family that undermined "the future of humanity itself." He further told diplomats from nearly 180 countries that the education of children needed proper "settings" and that "pride of place goes to the family, based on the marriage of a man and a woman."

So what's the mayor gonna do, ban the Catholic Church from Boston proper? I don't think so!

I'm not Catholic, but if I were gonna choose a denomination based upon how cool its leader's hats are, I'd definitely go RC. :)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Well, it seems Chick-fil-A is doing a complete 180 on this issue. To show that they're being more tolerant of homosexuals, Chick-fil-A has come up with a new "Chick-on-Chick" sandwich. :pound:

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

To show that they're being more tolerant of homosexuals, Chick-fil-A has come up with a new "Chick-on-Chick" sandwich.
Seems as though our resident, demented clown has struck yet once again!
FlawedIntellect
Established Member

Post by FlawedIntellect »

RickD wrote:Well, it seems Chick-fil-A is doing a complete 180 on this issue. To show that they're being more tolerant of homosexuals, Chick-fil-A has come up with a new "Chick-on-Chick" sandwich. :pound:
The joke is too punny/tongue-in-cheek, and well... let's just face it. That's awful. The joke could be worse, though.
Ya left out an ad... Nevermind.

I'm done with that.

So, let's eat more chicken.
Stygian
Established Member

Post by Stygian »

I hear a lot of talk about them donating to anti-gay organizations. I haven't done a whole lot of research, but one of them is apparently Exodus International. Anybody know anything about this organization? All I've seen are plenty of headlines with the words 'anti-gay' in them, but I'm not too sure if they can be trusted.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stygian wrote:I hear a lot of talk about them donating to anti-gay organizations. I haven't done a whole lot of research, but one of them is apparently Exodus International. Anybody know anything about this organization? All I've seen are plenty of headlines with the words 'anti-gay' in them, but I'm not too sure if they can be trusted.
See for yourself:http://exodusinternational.org/
I'm not familiar with Exodus International, but I wouldn't call them "anti-gay".

-Edward R Murrow

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

RickD wrote:
Stygian wrote:I hear a lot of talk about them donating to anti-gay organizations. I haven't done a whole lot of research, but one of them is apparently Exodus International. Anybody know anything about this organization? All I've seen are plenty of headlines with the words 'anti-gay' in them, but I'm not too sure if they can be trusted.
See for yourself:http://exodusinternational.org/
I'm not familiar with Exodus International, but I wouldn't call them "anti-gay".
Well Rick, anything that has to do with traditional marriage between one man and one woman is now anti-gay.

It is the tactic of the Left to polarize (divide people) by demonizing the opposition through intimidation (bullying).

I’d say, pass legislation in Congress that prevents Gays from suing minister, churches, that refuse to marry them, and the gay right movement will fade away. The left’s agenda is to destroy the Judaic/Christian heritage of the USA so that Govt becomes the peoples god. Christianity is the biggest hindrance to their goal and the second – why the 2’nd Amendment of our US Constitution.

The polarization attacks from the left on these two will increase, unless common sense prevails. Take away the financial incentive to destroy the Christianity, the gay rights issue will just fade away.

Who would of thought, just 2 years ago, just saying one believes in traditional marriage between one man and one woman would become a hate thought crime?

God have mercy on this nation unto repentance , amen…
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ok, as far as I can see, Exodus International councils people who desire to come out of a homosexual lifestyle. They help people who want help. Nothing I can see on their website shows them to be anti-gay. They don't seem to force their counseling on people who don't want to be counseled.

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

B. W. wrote:God have mercy on this nation unto repentance , amen…
Too late:

#1:Too many people in your nation just stay at home on election day (how stupid is that?)
#2: Baroque Osama will probably get a second term.
#3: Your president is pro-Muslim and anti-Israel.

Three strikes and you're out.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +