What is morality?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: What is morality?

Post by 1over137 »

Beanybag wrote: Basically, sometimes not doing unto others as you would not have them do unto you isn't consistent with their own take of that. A person might love it if everyone around him stopped to give him hugs, but other people might feel very uncomfortable with this. You might see no problem with people being cut-throat competitive with you in a business environment and act accordingly, but people from other cultures find this behavior deplorable.
I was not talking about "do others what you would others like to do to you."
Beanybag wrote: It works well for the common preferences but not all preferences are common. In order to get further, you need ethics that will consider the preferences of others and possible differences in preferences. We don't always know if other people's preferences align with our own, hence the need for consent (informed consent, in order to account for manipulation). You might say that by respect, asking permission, consideration of differences of preferences are all derivable by the golden rule as well, but it's not necessarily so, only sometimes so. I do think the golden rule does get you pretty far, though.
To get further one needs ethics? Here is the definition of what is ethical (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ethical):

1. pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct.
2. being in accordance with the rules or standards for right conduct or practice, especially the standards of a profession: It was not considered ethical for physicians to advertise.

So, moral behaviour is ethical behaviour. Ethical behaviour is moral behavior, or behaviour in accordance with standards, or right behaviour. I am in a bad cycle.

(going to bed now :sleep: )
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Beanybag
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Beanybag »

1over137 wrote:I was not talking about "do others what you would others like to do to you."
Sorry, yours was one of a restriction of behavior, not of advocating a behavior. I'll keep that in mind. Do you have any views on what one ought to do rather than what one ought not do, or is it fine so long as they refrain from what they ought not do?
Beanybag wrote:It works well for the common preferences but not all preferences are common. In order to get further, you need ethics that will consider the preferences of others and possible differences in preferences. We don't always know if other people's preferences align with our own, hence the need for consent (informed consent, in order to account for manipulation). You might say that by respect, asking permission, consideration of differences of preferences are all derivable by the golden rule as well, but it's not necessarily so, only sometimes so. I do think the golden rule does get you pretty far, though.
To get further one needs ethics? Here is the definition of what is ethical (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ethical):

1. pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct.
2. being in accordance with the rules or standards for right conduct or practice, especially the standards of a profession: It was not considered ethical for physicians to advertise.

So, moral behaviour is ethical behaviour. Ethical behaviour is moral behavior, or behaviour in accordance with standards, or right behaviour. I am in a bad cycle.

(going to bed now :sleep: )
I use the term ethical and moral interchangeably, sorry if that gets confusing. So yes, I'd agree with your statements. You need an ethical system or set of principles beyond the golden rule in order to get further. Sorry if my wording has gotten confusing. I'd just like to put forth a famous example that poses a problem to many different ethical systems (golden rule included). The Trolley Problem:

"Suppose that a judge or magistrate is faced with rioters demanding that a culprit be found for a certain crime and threatening otherwise to take their own bloody revenge on a particular section of the community. The real culprit being unknown, the judge sees himself as able to prevent the bloodshed only by framing some innocent person and having him executed. Beside this example is placed another in which a pilot whose aeroplane is about to crash is deciding whether to steer from a more to a less inhabited area. To make the parallel as close as possible it may rather be supposed that he is the driver of a runaway tram which he can only steer from one narrow track on to another; five men are working on one track and one man on the other; anyone on the track he enters is bound to be killed. In the case of the riots the mob have five hostages, so that in both the exchange is supposed to be one man's life for the lives of five."

In this scenario, you would not want others to let you die, but you would also not want to be killed. If you think your golden rule is still applicable, that's fine. Perhaps it is. I was just positing that perhaps it cannot tell you the right answer in every scenario or maybe it needs some help, such as which preference should take precedence when and how we can know.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Beanybag wrote:I am genuinely trying to find out what people believe. The point of the response is that some people believe differently. You may think that your belief is the only possible correct one, but is it not possible that somewhere you made an error? Not to say that you did, but simply to recognize the possibility. You say God does not speak in the anthropogenic, some people say he does. You say he's timeless, others disagree. You say they're wrong, they say you're wrong. I am not in a position to know which side is right, so I'd like to hear from both, or more.
It's less possible that I've made an error than those that disagree with me. And if I've made an error, it's the burden of those who disagree to demonstrate the flaw in my logic. I've shouldered the burden of providing an argument for my views. It is now the burden of those who disagree with my conclusions to demonstrate why. "Na-uh!" does not suffice.
In my original post, I asked quite a bit more than you are implying. I did not ask the single question "What is morality" (ontologically), but also asked epistemic questions of morality. I did not change any questions, I simply asked more than one. Please go back to the previous posts if you doubt this.
Perhaps I'm just dense. I don't see the epistemological question (beyond how we know what morality is) in the OP. I see the following questions:

What is morality
what does it mean to be moral?
What then, ought we or ought not we do?
Why? What is that to me? Or, as PaulS would say.. sez who?
what clues do we have as to what morality actually is and how can we know?

I just didn't see in any of these the question, "How do we know what is right or wrong in any given case?" Perhaps that's what you meant by one of these, but I just didn't see it.
The Catholic Church has been fairly consistent with its approach to divine simplicity, yes. Are all the Christians here Roman Catholics? Is there no dissent? Isn't it, like you said, not easy to discern the philosophy of God? I don't think it's fair to pretend as if you have a monopoly on truth here. You may have a strong position that creates for a strong moral framework, but if, in providing that strong position, it contradicts other people's conclusions they already made about God, they may dissent or withhold judgment. Why take their voice away? I am not trying to attack anyone's position, I just want to learn about other people's beliefs through a conversation.
I'm not Catholic, and most of the board here is not. To the best of my knowledge, only Byblos is (although I think I saw another RC post once or twice . . . I haven't followed that closely). In any case, DS is not limited to the RCC. Muslims and Jews have historically held to it as well, as well as off-shoot monotheistic religions (e.g., the Druze). Of course, you also have Greek philosophy which held to the idea as well.

As far as taking anyone's voice away, I'll answer that when you tell me when you stop beating your wife. Come on, BB, you know better than that. Loaded questions are never appropriate. You know as well as anyone that I've no interest in shutting down dissent. I do have an interest in arguments for truth. If someone has a different view of God or morality or whatever, they have the right to put their view forward. If they do, they have the obligation to both defend their view rationally and to respond to arguments for other views and against their positions. If their arguments fail, they are obligated to either modify their contradictory views or suspend judgment and/or argument until such a time as they can make a proper argument. That's what all of us have to do, myself included (and it's an approach I do practice myself).

In short, none of us have the right to be irrational, no matter how sincere we think we are. We have the right to be wrong. But never irrational.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Beanybag
Valued Member

Post by Beanybag »

Jac3510 wrote:I just didn't see in any of these the question, "How do we know what is right or wrong in any given case?" Perhaps that's what you meant by one of these, but I just didn't see it.
It's what I was getting at when I asked what we ought to do or ought not to do. It's more clear in my follow up questions in the second post I make:

"Yes, but then, what IS the right thing, how do we know, and what is it to us? The right thing is usually defined as the thing we ought to do, but those questions remain."
You know as well as anyone that I've no interest in shutting down dissent. I do have an interest in arguments for truth. If someone has a different view of God or morality or whatever, they have the right to put their view forward. If they do, they have the obligation to both defend their view rationally and to respond to arguments for other views and against their positions. If their arguments fail, they are obligated to either modify their contradictory views or suspend judgment and/or argument until such a time as they can make a proper argument. That's what all of us have to do, myself included (and it's an approach I do practice myself).

In short, none of us have the right to be irrational, no matter how sincere we think we are. We have the right to be wrong. But never irrational.
I'm not asking them to argue their position, I simply want to know what they believe. They have no obligations beyond that.

As an analogy, imagine this is a science thread. I am asking them to present their theories about, say, medicine. Some many subscribe to chiropractics, some to homeopathy, and some to raw food. Even if their positions are not scientifically supported and have been historically rejected by all professional scientists, I still want to know what they believe and why, because I think there's some value in that. I want to know what they think of morality, how they come to their conclusions, why they have, and whatever else I can learn, with some light discussion thrown in. Beyond that I'm not trying to ask much else.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Well as I said before, BB, if that's all you're after, then at least Byblos and I have given you the classical answer and you know why we hold it. :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Beanybag wrote: Sorry, yours was one of a restriction of behavior, not of advocating a behavior. I'll keep that in mind. Do you have any views on what one ought to do rather than what one ought not do, or is it fine so long as they refrain from what they ought not do?
As, I said, I can't think of anything better than the golden rule (maybe that better something is in Jac's posts, but I have to check). But if you really want me to say what people should do, well, they should be honest.
Beanybag wrote: I use the term ethical and moral interchangeably, sorry if that gets confusing. So yes, I'd agree with your statements. You need an ethical system or set of principles beyond the golden rule in order to get further. Sorry if my wording has gotten confusing. I'd just like to put forth a famous example that poses a problem to many different ethical systems (golden rule included). The Trolley Problem:

"Suppose that a judge or magistrate is faced with rioters demanding that a culprit be found for a certain crime and threatening otherwise to take their own bloody revenge on a particular section of the community. The real culprit being unknown, the judge sees himself as able to prevent the bloodshed only by framing some innocent person and having him executed. Beside this example is placed another in which a pilot whose aeroplane is about to crash is deciding whether to steer from a more to a less inhabited area. To make the parallel as close as possible it may rather be supposed that he is the driver of a runaway tram which he can only steer from one narrow track on to another; five men are working on one track and one man on the other; anyone on the track he enters is bound to be killed. In the case of the riots the mob have five hostages, so that in both the exchange is supposed to be one man's life for the lives of five."

In this scenario, you would not want others to let you die, but you would also not want to be killed. If you think your golden rule is still applicable, that's fine. Perhaps it is. I was just positing that perhaps it cannot tell you the right answer in every scenario or maybe it needs some help, such as which preference should take precedence when and how we can know.
That judge probably would not like to be in a position of that innocent person.
I do not see a problem in the pilot story. If he was an inhabitant, he would not to be killed by crashing aeroplane.
Concerning the track, well, we can add to the golden rule the following one: if it is inevitable that you break the rule, then break it the least times as possible.
So, now the mob has hostages? Golden rule for the judge: Do not kill the innnocent. That the mob would then kill 5 hostages? This has nothing to do with the golden rule for the judge but with the golden rule for the others.

What ya think, BB?

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Beanybag
Valued Member

Post by Beanybag »

1over137 wrote:That judge probably would not like to be in a position of that innocent person.
I do not see a problem in the pilot story. If he was an inhabitant, he would not to be killed by crashing aeroplane.
Concerning the track, well, we can add to the golden rule the following one: if it is inevitable that you break the rule, then break it the least times as possible.
So, now the mob has hostages? Golden rule for the judge: Do not kill the innnocent. That the mob would then kill 5 hostages? This has nothing to do with the golden rule for the judge but with the golden rule for the others.

What ya think, BB?
Well, like I said, I think it's a good rule to live by and I think it's mostly sufficient. I like that you added a virtue, honesty, to help decide what one ought to do - I'm a fan of using virtues as rules of thumb in helping to decide, since we don't always have all the information to make the best decision. I wonder, though, what you would make of some different scenarios that involve a little more systemic interaction. Take for instance a government social program. Should you implement a tax to support social programs like welfare and medicaid? I realize it's hard to say without details of each, but just generalize if you can. And what if you had control over a trolley lever that would make it go one direction or the other - down one path you are 99.9% sure to kill one person, down the other you are about 1% to kill a whole town and everyone on the trolley (not choosing will kill everyone on the trolley by derailing it). Not a fun scenario that last one, I'd dread that decision myself.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Beanybag wrote: Well, like I said, I think it's a good rule to live by and I think it's mostly sufficient. I like that you added a virtue, honesty, to help decide what one ought to do - I'm a fan of using virtues as rules of thumb in helping to decide, since we don't always have all the information to make the best decision. I wonder, though, what you would make of some different scenarios that involve a little more systemic interaction. Take for instance a government social program. Should you implement a tax to support social programs like welfare and medicaid? I realize it's hard to say without details of each, but just generalize if you can. And what if you had control over a trolley lever that would make it go one direction or the other - down one path you are 99.9% sure to kill one person, down the other you are about 1% to kill a whole town and everyone on the trolley (not choosing will kill everyone on the trolley by derailing it). Not a fun scenario that last one, I'd dread that decision myself.
To the tax to medicalaid:
If you were a doctor you would not like to work for free. So, do not do to doctors what you would not like to be done to you: Were not being paid. Supporting medical aid = money to doctors. Putting tax to it = restricting money to doctors.
Well, I probably oversimplified that. But there are MANY factors in this example playing their roles.

To the trolley control:
Let us assume that in the town you would kill 99 people. Now, when you are 99% sure of killing one people on one trolley and 1% sure killing 99 people on the other trolley, then it is the same, and choose what you want. If there were more people in the town, choose the trolley to one person, if less, choose the trolley to the town.

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Secular ethics isn't really ever darwinian.. that's more along the lines of nazis and fascists (might makes right), and they're driven by an ideology that is rather exclusive, non-scientific, and not what I would consider secular. Further, among intelligent beings, murder is not natural selection - it is artificial selection and is deviating from natural evolution. Killing is certainly wrong at a very basic level, ethically, by the simple acknowledgement of human preference. It's like 1/137 says, there is common preference humans can agree on that, while somewhat subjective, is non arbitrary and still meaningful. People value their lives, so to take other people's lives is inconsistent. Clearly, murder would be wrong.
You are playing with semantics I think, killing may will be justified and the term murder is simply used when we feel a death was unjustified.
Killing to survive is NOT wrong, killing to help others to survive is not wrong, killing to propegate our genes is not wrong ( all that in regards to natural selection and survival of the fittest), add to that stealing and raping ( the strong take what they can and the weak fall behind).
Only the strongest and most dominate genes will propagate and breed into the next generation.
In short murder is wrong only if based OUTSIDE the context of natural selection, survival of the fittest, naturalism, etc.
Anything that allows for the superiour gene to propagate is not wrong, survival is the sole objective.
Zionist
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Zionist »

paul is right on this couldn't have said it better myself.
Our rightousness is of filthy rags and in the eyes of God all have gone astray and nobody is justified under the Law. We are saved by the Grace of God through our faith in Him and in Him who he has sent Jesus Christ alone. There is no other way.