Birth Control

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Birth Control

Post by Ivellious »

there is absolutely NO medical reason for the female orgasm.
Not sure why this damages atheism...There a lot of things without a known medical purpose in our bodies. Isn't it kind of a "God of the gaps" concept to say that a lack of known purpose in something automatically means it was "clearly God"?

Also, saying that God made the female orgasm doesn't totally balance out the sexism present in the Bible...Just saying, it would only be one instance.
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Birth Control

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

I never meant to imply that it was the only and strongest case for balancing out sexism. On a related note, the sexism, like the violence and even bigotry we see in the Bible, is simply a testament to the culture and time. The Bible is a historical document, don't forget, and in it has been recorded the ways of life, thoughts and culture of a people we don't understand (and for obvious reasons). The authors who dictated the events of this time are not unlike modern authors - they write about what they witness.
The message comes from discerning the acts of Christ himself, and his teachings. Jesus acted very much against the way of his time, treating women with dignity and respect, even embracing a prostitute into his "fold". We are told he treated his mother with great reverence, and that Joseph did the same. Considering the culture of this time, where women were viewed as possessions, like everything else, Jesus' actions could be considered quite radical and revolutionary. One need only understand this very basic element in biblical studies and thus not be confused by seemingly contradictory messages.
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".