Lies

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Tina
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Lies

Post by Tina »

What if you lied to save someone's life? Our had to burn the Bible to save someone's life.............would you sin to save lives??
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Lies

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I don't believe it would be a sin, so yes I would 100%.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
wrain62
Valued Member

Post by wrain62 »

In Exodus chapter one:

Shiphrah and Puah, midives for the isrealites, were ordered to kill newborn hebrews boys by the Pharoh and lied to in verse 19. because they feared God. A bible is just pieces of paper, ink(that can burn) and words (that are indestructable). Sin is in the heart not actions.
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
Tina
Established Member

Post by Tina »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I don't believe it would be a sin, so yes I would 100%.
I mean like any sin at all, would you do --insert generic sin-- to save lives.......or just one life?
Tina
Established Member

Post by Tina »

wrain62 wrote:In Exodus chapter one:

Shiphrah and Puah, midives for the isrealites, were ordered to kill newborn hebrews boys by the Pharoh and lied to in verse 19. because they feared God. A bible is just pieces of paper, ink(that can burn) and words (that are indestructable). Sin is in the heart not actions.
I can understand that. So it's not a sin if the intent is pure?
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Tina wrote:
I mean like any sin at all, would you do --insert generic sin-- to save lives.......or just one life?

Well for example if I had to kill the agressor to save someone then yes I would as my actions would be righteous.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Tina
Established Member

Post by Tina »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Tina wrote:

Well for example if I had to kill the agressor to save someone then yes I would as my actions would be righteous.

Dan
Ya, I have to say I'd do the same
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Tina wrote:What if you lied to save someone's life? Our had to burn the Bible to save someone's life.............would you sin to save lives??
Well. what does the bible say about this?

Provebs 6:16-17 NKJV "There are six things which the LORD hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: 17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, And hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that run rapidly to evil, 19 A false witness who utters lies, And one who spreads strife among brothers.

This how to define the type of lying the bible speaks about not doing - two Hebrews words translated lying and lie in the text above. Gills Bible Commentary accurately defines the one used in verse 17…
Gills Bible Commentary wrote:…a lying tongue; that is the second of the hateful things; a tongue speaking falsehood, knowingly and willingly, with an intention to deceive others; to hurt the character of a neighbour, or to flatter a friend, is a most detestable evil; it ought to be so to men, it must be so to God, who is a God of truth: nor is there anything in which a man more resembles the devil, who is the father of lies;
This type of lying is that of a conman or a person seeking to cause harm to another based on untruth. Pharaoh thought of killing all the babies due this type of lie, and because of it Moses as a baby was sent adrift in the river and later found. It also involves slandering and character assassination. So the type lie God hates and warns not to do is of this nature. The intent is to cause harm in order to dominate others and destroy others. The devil in the Garden of Eden told this type of lie to Adam and Eve.

The second use in verse 19 – the context proves that this type of lying is limited to bearing false witness – like those people did during Jesus’ trial. Setting someone innocent up is also of this type. Think of the American main stream media portrayal of Conservative women and you’ll get an idea of this type of lying God’s hates…

These two specific types of lying has no bearing on lying to save another’s life, not giving secrets to an enemy, etc and etc. So the lying God hates and tells us to avoid is a far cry from telling one’s wife she does not look fat in her new dress. Or the lies told to protect people from harm…

Context matters in bible interpretation…

Hope this helps

Also, if someone burns a bible, we do not kill people for doing so as does the religion of peace does...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Dallas
Established Member

Post by Dallas »

Tina wrote:What if you lied to save someone's life? Our had to burn the Bible to save someone's life.............would you sin to save lives??
Honestly, I can't stand when people even drop their Bible. So burning it is just out of question for me... Lying saves a lot of peoples lives, Just look at the verse in revelation that people use to have people to come know Christ. That verse wasn't even made for the unbeliever, it was made for the believer. Revelation 3:20 "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hears my voice, and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will eat with him, and he with me." This is a verse that is taken out of context, but it makes people come to know Christ. Nonetheless, Lying is a major way to save people from death.
Vigilate super me Dominus

Down the road i'll hit many bumps, but as long as you're driving Lord, i'll be fine.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

God's Word has survived to this day, so noone can destroy it. I would not hesitate to burn paper and ink to save a human life. God crucified Himself for us, so logically, following after His example, out of love He would clearly prefer us to save others whether it be sacrificing ourselves, or even Himself. But the underlining premise is that it must be primarily out of love for God and others.

As for denying God to save ourselves, I don't see the point. Things are just temporary here anyway, so you're just delaying the inevitable. Why bother dealing with the guilt you would probably have thereafter thinking about the issue?

On the other hand, throw the lives of others into the situation, say your children or even just other people. Self-sacrificing ones soul for others, what could be a higher self sacrifice and as such demonstrate a higher love for others than that? Surely, God would not turn a blind eye to such a noble action -- that is, verbally denying Him (without denying Him in your heart), sacrificing yourself to save others as He Himself did. God's big enough. Just depends on your motives.
Tina
Established Member

Post by Tina »

K wrote:As for denying God to save ourselves, I don't see the point. Things are just temporary here anyway, so you're just delaying the inevitable. Why bother dealing with the guilt you would probably have thereafter thinking about the issue?
You should post this in a thread in Questions for Christians------> Denying Christ to save your life =>
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Ahh yeah. Didn't realise they were different threads. Oops.
Tina
Established Member

Post by Tina »

Kurieuo wrote:Ahh yeah. Didn't realise they were different threads. Oops.
Was that sarcasm? I meant you should post it there so the ppl reading that one can see it cuz it fits that topic
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

No. :lol: :wave: