abortion

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
gezenema
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

abortion

Post by gezenema »

Is abortion a important topic to you when voting for president? I take into consideration many things when voting. Especially my beliefs, morals and financial state. If it questions my morals, it puts me into check.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: abortion

Post by Silvertusk »

gezenema wrote:Is abortion a important topic to you when voting for president? I take into consideration many things when voting. Especially my beliefs, morals and financial state. If it questions my morals, it puts me into check.

Never used to be before I was a Christian - but now it is the most important one for me. However in the UK this subject is never even brooched which is why our next general election mine will be a spoilt ballot.

Welcome to the board.

Silvertusk.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

gezenema wrote:Is abortion a important topic to you when voting for president? I take into consideration many things when voting. Especially my beliefs, morals and financial state. If it questions my morals, it puts me into check.
It's an important issue. It isn't the only issue however. I try to factor in many things and weigh between the available choices. Often the pro-life candidate (if there is one) gets my vote but not necessarily always.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
It's an important issue. It isn't the only issue however. I try to factor in many things and weigh between the available choices. Often the pro-life candidate (if there is one) gets my vote but not necessarily always.

This is only a recent development - but since having my child - it is the issue that I start with. If a candidate can sanction murder than all other points are moot. If they believe in the sanctitiy of life then I am sure this will have a positive knock-on effect to other issues.

Just a disclaimer I am pro-life - however I do deplore the activies of some of the pro-life protestors and their actions against abortion clinics and doctors who carry out abortions - to me they are just as bad.
domokunrox
Valued Member

Post by domokunrox »

I strongly disagree with the pro choice position on abortion.

My position is that life begins at conception and it should be protected.

As far as how I consider that into my vote. At this point in time with the financial state of my country, it unfortunately doesn't weigh in as much into who I vote for. I am considering citizenship elsewhere.

Abortion is a complicated issue. Criminalizing it isn't a big deal as some people make it out to be who are on the fence about the issue. The pro choice crowd have repeatedly stated that if it was criminalize, there would be street alley abortions as if it was some kind of drug deal. Often thrown in with women's rights, children safety, etc.

Abortion is the product of a society where parents have failed to teach their children about sex and instead want the government to teach them. Parents just don't care.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Couldn't agree more. I would also add to that the fact that society in general has become more liberal and secular and has drifted away from fundamental Christian values and therefore less and less things are seen as sacred.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

No arguments as to the importance of it and the moral drift we have within our society at large, although I think the "good old days" we think were in America's past in terms of general acceptance of fundamental values isn't quite as accurate a picture as we might want it to be.

My concern is that evangelicals have pretty much voted as a block, often tied to this one issue and given support to one particular party which has included this issue on their platform without examining the moral values of the other elements, some of which, in my opinion, are significant as well in terms of the value of human life. The return for that support has been minimal at best and I think more and more evangelicals are starting to wake up and move away from having their support taken for granted in this manner.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Before I became Christian it wasn't important to me either... But G-d opened my eyes to it. Yes, it is a sin..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Gman wrote:
Before I became Christian it wasn't important to me either... But G-d opened my eyes to it. Yes, it is a sin..
:amen: :amen: and :amen:
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

This is interesting: The Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada recommends that women not be told the gender of their in utero baby until it is at least 30 weeks old. It seems that ''some [ethnic] groups'' tend to abort a female foetus, especially if it is the first pregnancy, or if the family already has a live girl baby.

Isn't this an affront to individual liberty?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

domokunrox wrote: Abortion is the product of a society where parents have failed to teach their children about sex and instead want the government to teach them. Parents just don't care.
Are you so sure about that statement? First of all, saying that parents don't care is a rather broad statement...Second of all, I'd like to know which version of school sex education you feel is the failure. Is it the Christian abstinence-only education, or the liberal, comprehensive sex ed? They are exceptionally different and generally speaking have very different effects on the teens being taught.

Also, shouldn't we consider that abortion is also a product of a society that demonizes or labels girls who have sex at a young age, thus restricting her access to birth control? If birth control were accessible to all people fairly, abortions would surely decrease.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

And as far as the voting issue, it's not my highest priority, but it's an issue. Though mostly I've taken issue with the other aspects of pro-life politicians, so even without that disagreement I wouldn't vote for most of them.
Reactionary
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Reactionary »

domokunrox wrote:Abortion is a complicated issue. Criminalizing it isn't a big deal as some people make it out to be who are on the fence about the issue. The pro choice crowd have repeatedly stated that if it was criminalize, there would be street alley abortions as if it was some kind of drug deal. Often thrown in with women's rights, children safety, etc.
In my opinion, to legalize abortion (or keep it legal) because of a possibility of street alley abortions, would be like legalizing, for instance, bank robberies, because a robber might get injured or killed by the security guards during the process. People who make such excuses for arguments seem to deliberately ignore the fact that humans are reasonable enough to make responsible decisions. If you go to a suspicious 'doctor' to perform abortion, and earn yourself health problems, the only party to blame is you, not legislation.
Ivellious wrote:First of all, saying that parents don't care is a rather broad statement...Second of all, I'd like to know which version of school sex education you feel is the failure. Is it the Christian abstinence-only education, or the liberal, comprehensive sex ed? They are exceptionally different and generally speaking have very different effects on the teens being taught.

Also, shouldn't we consider that abortion is also a product of a society that demonizes or labels girls who have sex at a young age, thus restricting her access to birth control? If birth control were accessible to all people fairly, abortions would surely decrease.
I think the entire society plays a role. Consider the following:
1) These days it's usual that both parents work. In such a situation, the society often plays a bigger role in a child's upbringing, than the parents.
2) The society teaches children that it's OK to have sex during the teen age, in fact, that it's desirable to do so. If you're "late" to the world of sex, you may be considered weird or abnormal, and since your parents, who should teach you the right values and build your character, are at work, teens succumb to the pressure, and start with sex unprepared.
3) However, if a teen gets pregnant, you're right here - the society that used to encourage her to have sex, may now demonize her. And since being a teen parent is not 'desirable', she may resort to abortion. It's also possible that she may not know what abortion is, and what it means. The society teaches that a fetus is a meaningless cluster of cells after all. And the parents haven't yet come home from work.
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

I think that, like with all outside influences on young people, the parents are indeed responsible for making sure certain influences are blocked and other ones are explained to the children so they can properly understand and handle it. You are right; these days parents are sometimes more detached from the home life (though I'm certainly not calling for women to lose their ability to work in favor of staying home). I just think that claiming the parents don't care is too broad of a statement to be a good explanation for ALL the abortions in this country.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Have a read of this article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16618156

Now lets consider that statistics here.

28 out of 1000 women a year. Lets do some maths then

There are currently 7,000,000,000 people in this world - so a safe estimate would be that there are

3,500,000,000 woman on this planet.

So that is 3,500,000 X 28 = 98million abortions a year on this planet.

98 MILLION MURDERS!!!!

I cannot even get my head around that figure. And most governments are ok with this.

60 million died in the WWII. 16.5 million died in WW1 so in one year there are more aborted deaths that both the 2 greatests wars in history.

I have to ask - Why does God still love us?????!!!!

SIlvertusk.