Discussion Guidelines & Moderating Policy

Important news and announcements

Discussion Guidelines & Moderating Policy

Post by Guest »

Discussion Guidelines & Moderating Policy (last updated 24 February 2017)

These discussion guidelines have been developed to outline the purpose of this board and expected conduct of those who participate. Administrators and moderators are responsible for enforcing the rules, and can moderate at their discretion to ensure that the desired spirit at these boards is maintained. Such moderation may include messages being edited or removed with or without warning, and/or posters being suspended or banned.

Board Purpose
This board is a part of Evidence for God from Science (G&S), a Christian website, which serves to provide a defense and persuasive case for Christianity as well as encouragement and instruction for Christian people and seekers. It is important that everyone who participates on this board is aware of our board purpose.

Site Spamming
SPAMMING THE BOARD WILL NOT HELP YOUR SEARCH ENGINE RANKING! This is because the entire discussion board is off-limits to all search engines and is NOT indexed by any. So, don't bother to post your spam links here.

Copyright
In posting in any forum on this message board, you accept the terms of what this type of publication medium implies. In posting you are accepting that your content will be publicly published, and also that the site owner or a moderator has the full right to edit, delete or retain your post as they see fit.

From time to time, members sometimes request their account and/or posts to be deleted or removed. Doing so can ruin the flow of discussions that have been had, and is disrespectful to those who spent their time replying to your post. As such, we will generally not oblige any such request.

In registering to become a member, you agree to relinquish any and all copyright claim over your words in any post or forum, in part or in full, to the website owner.

Language
The God and Science website is rated "family friendly" and for "all ages", so please keep your words clean. Some words considered inappropriate have been blocked, and attempts to get around a blocked word by inserting a space or character will not be tolerated.

Mannerism
Within discussions, please be civil and courteous and do not resort to personal attacks. If you feel inappropriately attacked, please bring such cases privately to a moderator who can then intervene as necessary. While these instructions are likely unnecessary for the vast majority of participants, here is some biblical advice to help serve as a guide for conversations:
  • Write in a manner that you would want others to write to you - "in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you" (Matthew 7:12).
  • "But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth." (Colossians 3:8)
  • "Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned, as it were, with salt, so that you may know how you should respond to each person." (Colossians 4:6)
  • "In all things show yourself to be an example of good deeds, with purity in doctrine, dignified, sound in speech which is beyond reproach, in order that the opponent may be put to shame, having nothing bad to say about us." (Titus 2:7-8)
Constructive Discussions
To have a constructive discussion, there are at least four main requirements:
  1. At Least Two People: This point should be obvious.
  2. A Specific Topic: All conversations should have one specific topic, and as such should remain on that topic. Any new topic that forks out and is too far removed, should be started as a new thread or brought to a moderator's attention.
  3. Knowledge: It is not expected that you should be thoroughly educated on an issue before commenting about it. At the same token, it is impossible for us to know everything. So if a topic is new to you or you don't know much about it, then it is good to spend some time researching to increase your knowledge before writing.
  4. Self-control: Chances are you will disagree with someone, and it is at this point discussions can turn nasty. Please remember to be respectful to others and keep to the topic rather than resorting to personal attacks.
Plagiarism, References, and Misquoting
Plagiarism is not accepted here. Any information gotten from another source must be referenced in some way. In most cases, all that is expected is a single link along with who you quoted. All Bible quotes must also be cited.

The trustworthiness of sources and quality of references should also be determined, otherwise you might end up embarrassed. There are many ideas floating around on the Web, and the quality can generally be judged by where it came from. For example, you should be wary of sources that are predominately "opinionative", don't appear "educated" on the issue, or lack "professionalism". In addition, refrain from continually using references that have already been outrightly shown as false.

Misquoting is also frowned upon and will be cause for intervention by a moderator. It is best to quote an entire sentence, even paragraph if possible. However, quoting a few middle words where the authors intention clearly does not support your case is dishonest so will not be accepted.

General Spamming
Spamming will not be accepted. By "spamming" we mean links advertising commercial or inappropriate websites, posts only containing links, and/or posts containing massive amounts of text uninspiring to discussions. Such posts will be moved into the "Garbage Bin" or deleted by a moderator at their discretion. Active posters wishing to place links to a personal or related website in their signature are welcome to do so.

Moderating Policy
A moderator reserves the right to deal with any post they deem inappropriate, including for reasons not specifically mentioned here. If you feel unjustly dealt with, please contact the moderator in question directly and privately. If you have any questions on issues not covered here, please contact a moderator for advice. Comments regarding these rules of conduct are also welcome as long as they are constructive.
  • Moderator policy basics on posting and warnings: Any time we see or are made aware of anyone having made an unnecessary, provocative, mean-spirited, or potentially inflammatory statement – whether deliberate or not - that the moderators perceive will be likely to pointlessly cause hard feelings and relentless argument, and/or a general disruption of forum peace, then that poster will receive one of two types of warnings (dependent upon the judgment call of a moderator): A) A warning to IMMEDIATELY discontinue whatever the moderator has deemed offensive; B) A warning which may or may NOT indicate that it is okay for the poster to continue his or her assertion point(s) in the thread, yet ONLY with either a much more diplomatic phrasing and removal of any further personal attack and/or its noted previous potentially offensive portions or tone.
  • Depending upon the severity of the particular transgression: A previous post that a mod has first deemed a violation of policy might be automatically deleted, and the poster will be subsequently warned not to continue in a likewise manner in a any subsequent posts. Or: A warning with general specifics has been issued and a poster persists, ignores and disobeys whatever the mod's instructions were in his initial warning, at which point the poster WILL receive a mandatory ban of THREE days from forum posting privileges. And: If a post is deemed an especially serious violation and/or the poster has already been repeatedly warned for similar and other offenses, the poster is likely to be banned (for a period to be determined by moderator discussion of the infraction).
  • How warnings will be issued / what they might include:
    There may be a mere general instruction as to some aspect of what a poster should not subsequently continue. Or, a warning might well contain some brief but instructive specifics, including quoted outtakes, as to why a poster has been warned, or as to why their post was deleted, etc. This is ONLY designed so that A) others reading the thread will understand the moderator's reasoning, AND B) it is also designed to be instructive, so that other forum members will realize what is not allowed, and why.
  • What the immediately above does NOT mean: Many forum members have a diversity of views that are in stark conflict with those of others members or moderators – and that is certainly to expected. The mods here are not the “pc police” - in fact, political correctness has absolutely nothing to do with our moderating policies. Frankly and honestly expressing opinions is not only highly valued on the forum, but is a critical and necessary part of facilitating an ongoing, productive, beneficial dialogue. So, merely expressing one's personal views, perceptions, and ideas, no matter how offensive their assertions or implications might be – whether OEC vs. YEC, theism vs. non-theism, evolution vs. non-evolutionist / or Progressive Creationism, Christianity vs. non-belief, false doctrines, agnosticism, or atheism, etc. - these are absolutely fine!
  • But what is totally unacceptable are any statements or tone that are merely personal attacks, mean-spirited – verbiage that is likely to be perceived as mostly meant just to tick people off – really uncivil language that any reasonable person would likely deem as being a mostly personal attack. That said, people with one view or belief may well be offended by the beliefs of another – which is to be expected. And so even radically opposing views can be discussed, as long as it done honestly, respectfully, and in a civil manner – virtually whatever that view or idea might be.
  • In addition to the above, further things which will not be tolerated: One of the very few things that are not allowed on the forum are people here with ONLY or mostly some type of anti-Christian or disruptive AGENDA (please read the accompanying Board Purpose). The moderators will not put up with trolls or those only here to argue and cause trouble. Lastly, not to be tolerated, are any expressions of support or verbiage encouraging criminal activities including, but not limited to, sexual and physical abuse, or posting of explicit images or other offensive material. And while you may intensely debate Christian beliefs, a continual or demonstrated disdain or disrespect for Christians and their beliefs will also not be tolerated.
  • Recourse for Poster's Response after a Moderator Warning: As of immediately, at the point after which a poster has received a warning, that poster: A) MUST completely comply with the moderator's instructions in a warning. B) After being warned, a poster CAN take up his or her point of view, clarifications and assertions with ANY or even ALL of the mods, but ONLY privately so! And, of course, if a warned poster's privately conveyed assertions are deemed of merit, then they most certainly will be fairly considered – potentially to the point of the mod(s) posting subsequent clarifications in the thread.
  • Most important and NEW aspect of the above addition to the moderating policy: There will be absolutely NO further continued PUBLIC arguing (past a warning, in a thread) over ANY aspect of what a poster has been warned about! Again, while a warned poster cannot continue a PUBLIC discussion over their warning, they CAN engage moderators privately, to argue or lobby their contentions and views concerning their warning. It is important to emphasize this new addition to policy is NOT designed to censor or temper the civil discussion of ideas and beliefs, no matter how extreme they might be - as long as they do not violate other aspects of our moderating policy.
  • The new policy additions have but ONE collective aim: Maintaining a safe, respectful environment of all types of discussion, and to prevent unnecessary bickering, the damaging of relationships, or damaging the perceptions of those visiting the forum, per the harmful perceptions hostility and arguing are likely to produce, concerning the forum's atmosphere, values, and how forum rules are enforced. The moderators ARE here to keep harmony on the forum, and to operate it in a spiritually productive, Christ-honoring manner. So please learn to challenge or disagree with a Christ-like attitude, which can and ought be done!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Basically, you started this site in order to convert non-believers to Christianity and you will no longer tolerate any possible arguements against Christianity - only honest questions.Well thats not very fair or sincere. Dont get me wrong I am not going against manners or language, but it seems like your giving yourself an advantage and putting yourself in a win win situation. Either one of us could be right or wrong but to show favorism to one side would make it difficult to determine what is objectively true and what is objectively false. Then again, I might have misunderstood your policies. If that is the case then I will ask you to clarify... Are non-believers allowed to express their arguements against Christianity in a civilized fashion?

If not then you can count me out of this forum.
I also highly doubt that any non-believer would dedicate part of of his/her valuable time to forum if she/he is not allowed to express his counter-arguements. If this beith the case, then your initial objective of converting non-believers to Christianity would become rather difficult if there would be almost no non-believers attending the forum. Then again, I can be wrong and you do recieve better results (Although I do not see any reason why a non-believer would participate in such a forum).

And what about honest questions concerning the obscene parts of the bible? How are those to be handled?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

NevermindDeath wrote:Basically, you started this site in order to convert non-believers to Christianity and you will no longer tolerate any possible arguements against Christianity - only honest questions. Well thats not very fair or sincere.
This isn't a website simply to convert. It is a website to strengthen Christians in their faith as well as allow non-Christians who want to ask sincere questions about (not debate against) Christian beliefs. If you don't find that fair, there are plenty of Atheist vs. Christian boards around the place which might better suit.
Nevermind wrote:Dont get me wrong I am not going against manners or language, but it seems like your giving yourself an advantage and putting yourself in a win win situation.
In a way that would perhaps be correct, but you're looking at it as a Christian vs. non-Christian board. This is not the purpose of the board so noone really wins as there is noone to "debate" against. The new board serves to provide a defense and persuasive case for Christianity, as well as encouragement and instruction for Christian people. If someone takes the position that Christianity is entirely wrong from the get go, then when they ask questions and discuss they'll always be trying to debunk Christianity. To such people, this board would no longer suit.
Nevermind wrote:Either one of us could be right or wrong but to show favorism to one side would make it difficult to determine what is objectively true and what is objectively false.
You're acting as though the whole world is on this one Christian board. I see the new board as showing favouritism to Christianity, you're right, but then it is showing favouritism to Christianity in the same way I would in my own home. If a non-Christian came in and saw the Christian Scriptures hung up and said, "Hey! Your showing favouritism to one side...", I would be like, "So? It's my own home." So Christianity here, isn't meant to be "up for debate." This board is a place for those who either think it is correct, or could be correct and want to ask a few questions.
Nevermind wrote:Are non-believers allowed to express their arguements against Christianity in a civilized fashion?
That's a loaded question. For a non-believer who has made up their mind that Christianity is not for them, and who would also like to try and persuade others that Christianity is wrong, another board would be better suited. A non-believer who is wanting to listen to Christian responses rather then go on the attack against Christian beliefs, is quite welcome to participate.
Nevermind wrote:If this beith the case, then your initial objective of converting non-believers to Christianity would become rather difficult if there would be almost no non-believers attending the forum. Then again, I can be wrong and you do recieve better results (Although I do not see any reason why a non-believer would participate in such a forum).
Well "to convert" is entirely up to the non-believer, it's not our job to make that decision for others. In my time participating on boards I have never seen anyone change positions let alone convert. And judging from my personal experience, boards that are Christian vs. non-Christian never ever do anything but form two sides which continually clash heads. So it is my opinion that your way has already been tried, and it fails to achieve the goals desired at GodandScience.org.

Yet, I do still see non-believers participating on this board because they would appreciate Christian responses. Then if they'd like to weigh up Atheism or some other religion, they would go to a board where Atheists are at, or where that other religion is at, then ask their questions.
Nevermind wrote:And what about honest questions concerning the obscene parts of the bible? How are those to be handled?
With thoughtful replies if they come up from someone seeking a reponse, rather than someone trying to say "Ahuh - gotchya!" There's a big difference, and it will be hard to moderate as the line is pretty thin. However, it usually becomes obvious distinguishing between a person who has questions they really do want answered, compared with a person who keeps asking questions and always responds negatively as they don't want a response--they're trying to show Christianity is false. If you're the later, then I'd recommend another board.

Thanks for posting this message, as I'm sure others would be wondering the same things.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hey, this is good. I'm glad this has taken place. I was shamefully neglecting my duties on the old board partly because of a "hecticer" schedule, but also because, while I enjoyed the debates going on here much of the time, it seemed pretty unfruitful in the mainstream, and I don't think I was helping much, either. Many blessings with the new board! :)

ex-Lack
Anonymous

Agree we are in Body Building Business

Post by Anonymous »

:) I agree with this site being a place where a Christian came come and hang their hat, and be encouraged. Too many times we [us Christians] think its all about tearing down & destroying the enemy, where we are to be about our masters business of building up one another unto the work of the Lord.
In Ephesians 2:21,22 it states, "21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit." KJV. May that be our goal in this life. When it comes to the enemy we are to stand fast on His Word.
It is not to say that we cannot have a good discussion with someone who opposes themself. Hoping to win over them by a good debate and persuasion. However, our mainstay as believers is about building, and repairing.
May God Bless You,
Compassion
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Is this site all from the bible I am wondering if it is,,,,As there are alot of intersting subjects on this website and I am wondering if this is all taken from the bible???

I am a devout christain and belive in The Bible yet alot of people seem to disgree with me when I speak of some of the topics on this site

Can you let me know if all this information on this website comes from the bible

God bless

I love this site
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Hi Suzy—welcome.

I believe this page may answer your question: "The Bible is the inspired word of God given through the writing styles of men led by the Holy Spirit. It is inerrant as originally written" (http://www.godandscience.org/beliefs.html).

Kurieuo.
hamilrob
Familiar Member

Hamilrob: The Departure!

Post by hamilrob »

Board Purpose (Please Read - Important!)
This board is a part of Evidence for God from Science (G&S), a Christian website, which serves to provide a defense and persuasive case for Christianity as well as encouragement and instruction for Christian people. Therefore, this message board is intended to reflect that spirit--serving as a place where sincere seekers can ask questions, and where faithful Christians can receive encouragement and instruction. This board is not for those who have already decisively made up their mind that Christ is "not" for them; who merely wish to debate and argue against Christianity, ignoring any and all reasons presented. Therefore, those who are Christian or haven't made up their minds are encouraged to join, while others who merely wish to attack and try to discredit Christianity are discouraged
If this be the case, then I shall leave. Please everyone hold your responses and don't tempt me back into this irrational discussion. It was never my intention to promote conflict or sow doubt, just to reveal the SHAM for what it is. If anyone has a personal comment, direct it to me through the ggod.info website.

Thank You.
Check out //www.ggod.info
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Hotlinking of images

Post by Judah »

I have noticed that it happens from time to time that folk will post images directly from another site to this one, probably using copy-and-paste, and quite possibly without knowledge or permission of the owner of the image or the one who originally hosted them.

It may be that some folk don't know about "hotlinking" which is a form of bandwidth or internet theft.

Hotlinking is said to have taken place when you do not download the image to your own computer then upload it to your own web hosting service and then post it from there. Someone else is presumably paying for the hosting of that image, and the person using it in this manner is doing so without making any contribution to that cost. Even if the image is hosted free, it is still using a service for which one did not pay.

The danger with hotlinking, aside from the ethics involved, is that the person hosting the image may exchange the image, keeping the same address, for another which will embarrass the one who hotlinked it. I have heard of an instance where the hotlinked image was exchanged for another that read in huge bold letters "This person is a thief!" and another where the image was exchanged for a pornographic one.

The other issue concerns copyright of images. Unless you are certain that the image is copyright-free, then permission should first be sought of the copyright owner before the image is posted. I know this is commonly done (the use of images without checking) and I have been guilty of it myself occasionally. I am attempting to mend my ways!

I have wanted to point out these practices so that people are more aware of them, have a chance to consider the ethics involved, and of course to avoid the possible risk of embarrassment should, oh horrors, their sins find them out. :shock:
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

Ya...but hotlinking is so much easier... :lol:
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Hey everyone,

Since we have had a lot of people around questioning the rules of this board, I want to point those that wish to have debates with Christians in a different environment to http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/index.php?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

Thank you for posting that Judah. I didn't know about the whole replacing the pictures thing. I had the internet years ago at my house and have only been back on for under a year. I tried to keep all the images I found to my liking if the computer let me, only a little concerned about copyrights. I figured if it was copyrighted it wouldn't let me because some of them didn't, (don't know how I was trying to take the image.) I didn't know all that, so thank you.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Believer »

I would like to add that name-calling based off of a persons username shouldn't be acceptable. A username can mean something significant to that member, or it may not. In any case, it is a username, not a weapon for name-calling. Too much of it has been going on, either for comedic or attack usage. While it can be funny if used in a sense of humor, that member might not appreciate it, so respect his/her wishes. Attacks using ones username isn't acceptable either because someone might get offended. For example, I will use my username, "Thinker", it is a username to be a member of the forum, it in no way implies something else. One attack could be, "Thinker sure isn't thinking today", again, that would be an attack, because the attacker assumes that the member's personality is like the username, which it may not be in most cases. Please be kind and respect others.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I think such is really in light humour. If it really offends save the moderators some work and simply PM the person to resolve the issue yourself.

Kurieuo
Jorge
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Re:

Post by Jorge »

Kurieuo wrote:The new board serves to provide a defense and persuasive case for Christianity, as well as encouragement and instruction for Christian people.
So you are trying to argue a case for Christianity, but not allowing any feedback from the other side?