Important news and announcements
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Etiquette on OEC/YEC Discussions

Post by Kurieuo »

It has recently arisen, and arisen many times in the past, the one's Christianity is attacked due to their being Day-Age OEC or perhaps YEC.

If you post here on this board then we expect you will treat one of either position with full respect as a Christian. If you can not, then please post on boards elsewhere. We want harmony on this board between Christians of varying beliefs, and if I have anything to do with it, I will not tolerate any more one challenging the authenticity of another's Christianity or faith due to their beliefs on creation.

On the other hand, discussing the Scriptural, scientific and other merits of your position over another's on creation is fine. Baseless and ad hominem attacks on another Christian because of their position on creation is not fine. And if from this day forward you feel you are not being shown respect as a Christian when discussing OEC/YEC creation positions, please report the offender to me or another moderator and it will be investigated.

Thanks.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Etiquette on OEC/YEC Discussions

Post by jenna »

Thank you for this, K. Should it not be, though, that this point should apply to ALL views, not just OEC/YEC? No one here should attack others for ANY reason. (just a thought) :?
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

jenwat3 wrote:Thank you for this, K. Should it not be, though, that this point should apply to ALL views,
As long as posters are within the board purpose and discussion guidelines. For example:
Board Purpose wrote:Who is the message board intended for?
This message board is publicly open to anyone who wishes to register, and participate in discussions, however it is only intended for a specific audience. It is intended to serve as a place for:

1. Sincere seekers to inquire and ask questions;
2. Christians to give and receive encouragement and instruction; and
3. Non-Christians who are willing to "walk a thin line" and dialogue sensatively and respectfully.

This board is not for those who have strongly made up their mind that Christ is "not" for them; who merely wish to put down, debate, and argue against essential Christian beliefs. As such, those who are Christian, have not made up their minds, or desire civil discussions about Christianity are encouraged to join, while others who merely wish to attack and try to discredit Christianity are discouraged and will be heavily moderated.

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... f=1&t=2517
jenwat wrote: not just OEC/YEC? No one here should attack others for ANY reason. (just a thought) :?
Posters should not attack others, but can attack positions. What I have posted is about people being attacked (their Christian brought into question) because of their position of creation.

This board accepts both YEC/OEC as Christian, and since these are the popular positions on creation debated here, it will not tolerate OECs bagging out YECs as non-Christian or vice-versa. If the board purpose and discussion guidelines are abided by (which are linked to at the top of every forum) then there is nothing to worry about. If a poster is ever out of line with this board, then they will be warned before any action is taken unless extreme and an immediate ban is in order.

Theistic Evolutionists are also welcome, however there is one important note specified in the board purpose:
Discussion Guidelines wrote:On an important note, some people do not like the "science" communicated by posters on the board. What posters write will even largely differ to what is advocated on the G&S website, for example, the Day-Age literal interpretation of Genesis 1 which accepts the science of the Earth being several billions years old, and a universe which has been expanding for about 14 billion years. Yet, as this is a Christian board, other Christian perspectives are welcome including Young-Earth Creationists and Theistic Evolutionists. We will not accept a strictly Materialist-Evolution accounting of origins since this is in direct opposition with essential Christian beliefs.

To be clear, we will heavily moderate those who attempt to support a neo-Darwinian form of evolution, which is strictly Materialistic and Atheistic, and which rules out any possible influence or intervention from a divine being such as the Christian God within creation. There are many understandings of "Evolution", and a paper we recommend reading to clarify the different meanings is "The Meanings of Evolution" (PDF format) by Stephen Meyer and Michael Keas. The type of evolution not accepted here would come under the "Blind watchmaker thesis" in that paper:
the idea that all organisms have descended from common ancestors through unguided, unintelligent, purposeless, material processes such as natural selection acting on random variations or mutations; the idea that the Darwinian mechanism of natural selection acting on random variation, and other similarly naturalistic mechanisms, completely suffice to explain the origin of novel biological forms and the appearance of design in complex organisms.

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... f=1&t=2517
This was added after much discussions between moderators on how to police distinctions between an Atheist agenda and an innocent evolution belief.

Kurieuo
imoneru?
Familiar Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by imoneru? »

[quote="jenna"]Thank you for this, K. Should it not be, though, that this point should apply to ALL views, not just OEC/YEC? No one here should attack others for ANY reason. (just a thought)

I'll admit to being pretty thick headed but will someone tell me what OEC?YEC stands for
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by cslewislover »

Hello! Old Earth Creationism and Young Earth Creationism.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
imoneru?
Familiar Member

Post by imoneru? »

Could you please tell me what the small red Asterisk on my last two or three posts are there for. If I am doing or saying something wrong I'll stop. I am simply trying to understand a number of things that confuse me about the various beliefs and reasons many who refer to themselves as Christians, do things, say things, and believe things, that I have a problem understanding, and I voice my opinions based on my lack of understanding. How else can I learn ?...Ray
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Ray,

I think what you're seeing is just a "new post" symbol. It isn't an indicator that you're doing anything wrong. If there were issues the moderators would follow up with you to resolve them. I'm a moderator and I can tell you that there haven't been any complaints or issues raised. Questions are fine.

blessings,

bart
jasvirbakhtu
Newbie Member

Post by jasvirbakhtu »

HELLO I AM NEW
JASVIR BAKHTU ETT TEACHER PUNJAB INDIA
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Post by Bradigans »

What is Day-Age, OEC, and YEC mean laymen's terms? Thanks for any input that can be given... --- IN CHRIST ---
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Welcome to the site, Bradigans. Hopefully these articles from the home site will help you.
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... odels.html
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... ation.html
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... onism.html

If you have any specific questions about creation, you can ask in the "Creation Talk" forum.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Post by Bradigans »

Thanks RickD
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Post by Bradigans »

I've always wondered if each day of creation could have stood for a long period of time based on Psalms 90:4 and 2 Peter 3:8...

--- IN CHRIST ---

Bradford
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Post by Bradigans »

I know this may sound funny, but I kind of believe in the gap or old age theory of the earth also because I have for some time now believed that there is a gap between the first mention of the creation of a man (Genesis 1:26) and the second mention of the creation of a man (Genesis 2:7). I kind of don't believe that these are the same persons. I will try and read what everyone else has already said on the issue before I really put out what I believe. Maybe it's already been answered.

--- IN CHRIST ---

Bradford