Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Board upgrade and tips

Post by Kurieuo »

Hi everyone.

As you all would be aware to now, these forums have been updated to the latest phpBB3 board. It provides many features over the older board, including better protection against SPAM posts. Hopefully you will all be able to adjust easily enough.

As a further note, if you prefer to have the user profiles to be displayed on the left-hand side in posts (like the older version of this board) we have made it so you can select this from your profile settings.

Making profiles display on left
Simply click "User Control Panel" (located near top of page) -> "Board preferences" then for "My board style" select "prosilver - profile left" and click the "Submit" button. Such a simple change might help just a little to adjust to the new board.

Kurieuo
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Re: Board upgrade and tips

Post by Kurieuo »

Figure I will continue posting user tips here on how to use different features on the board (and anyone else feel free to add your own discovered tips)

Increase font sizes
To increase the text size for readability you will notice an almost invisible "A" below the search box at the top right-hand corner of the page. To cycle through different font sizes simply click this "A". (thanks to Rich for discovering this)

Kurieuo
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

[quote="Kurieuo"](thanks to Rich for discovering this)[/quote]

Yes, thank you from us visually impaired, who are too vain to get glasses yet. :)
Forum Monk
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by Forum Monk »

Perhaps it is just me, but I am finding that as I attempt to initialize a post, the page will suddenly lurch down to the post review section of the page and so takes the input focus away from the edit box I am beginning to work in. This forces me to scroll back up, reenter the edit box and often retype what I thought I had already typed.

Is anyone else seeing this and finding it annoying?

Otherwise I like the new look, it is not difficult to adjust to it, and I am very grateful not to see all the junk spam.

Correction:
It is not that the page jumps on its own, if i start typing before the page is fully loaded, the focus is removed from the edit box (for some reason) and hitting the space bar emulates a page down. Guess I'll have to slow down and wait until the whole page loads before I start typing.
FFC

Post by FFC »

[quote="Forum Monk"]Perhaps it is just me, but I am finding that as I attempt to initialize a post, the page will suddenly lurch down to the post review section of the page and so takes the input focus away from the edit box I am beginning to work in. This forces me to scroll back up, reenter the edit box and often retype what I thought I had already typed.

Is anyone else seeing this and finding it annoying?

Otherwise I like the new look, it is not difficult to adjust to it, and I am very grateful not to see all the junk spam.

Correction:
It is not that the page jumps on its own, if i start typing before the page is fully loaded, the focus is removed from the edit box (for some reason) and hitting the space bar emulates a page down. Guess I'll have to slow down and wait until the whole page loads before I start typing.[/quote]

Ah...so the truth finally comes out. :)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

What browser do you use. I use Firefox without any issues. Can't stand the new IE.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

With the previous edition, there was a link to http://www.godandscience.org

I don't see it with the new edition, can we establish one? It might be helpful
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Request granted. ;)
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

On the right hand side, above the name and info of the poster, how can you get a picture? I want one above my name, but don't know how to get one. Any tips?
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

jenwat3 wrote:On the right hand side, above the name and info of the poster, how can you get a picture? I want one above my name, but don't know how to get one. Any tips?
Click "User control Panel" link at top of page, select "Profile", select "Edit Avatar", and then click the button "Display gallery".
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

The board was again recently updated to the latest version which should have less bugs.

Please let me know if you notice anything out of the ordinary.

Also, if you find you have greater than "0 new messages" displayed beside "User Control Panel" at the top of the page, despite having read all your private messages, please let me know and I will reset it to zero for you. This appears to have been a bug introduced in the last upgrade. :(
FFC

Post by FFC »

K,
Is there no way to put the avatar on the left hand side of the screen like we used to do?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

FFC wrote:K,
Is there no way to put the avatar on the left hand side of the screen like we used to do?
There is by creating a new template, but the thing with that is phpBB just loves to destroy templates with upgrades. So I figure I'll wait until phpBB becomes fully released (the one running here is a pre-release) before bothering setting up a new template again.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

K, I belong to another board that uses the same phpbb as we do but they have the most colorful and diverse set of emoticons (all kinds of dancing, clapping, waving, praying thingies). How can we get those?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Byblos wrote:K, I belong to another board that uses the same phpbb as we do but they have the most colorful and diverse set of emoticons (all kinds of dancing, clapping, waving, praying thingies). How can we get those?
Different emoticons can be added from the admin. What is the board? I could steal them or try track down the emoticon pack.